• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what bullets work for loading Pedersoli Sharps brass casings?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I'm in need of loading those brass cartridge cases for the Pedersoli 1859 Sharps but can't seem to find the correct bullet to snugly fit the casing. Would appreciate any experience story or help with this. Thanks in advance!

If you're expecting any accuracy, first you have to know your actual bore size, then choose a bullet .002 over that figure. THEN worry about fitting your cases.

Buy a reloading manual. Read the chapters on how to load metallic ammunition. Buy the tools, follow the directions.

Lyman cast bullet handbook (#3 or #4) is good, and you might benefit from Mike Venturino's books on loading the blackpowder cartridges. Also, The Paper Jacket by the late Paul Matthews is an excellent guide for paper patching bullets should you wish to do that.

Last edited:
Buy a reloading manual. Read the chapters on how to load metallic ammunition. Buy the tools, follow the directions.

Lyman cast bullet handbook (#3 or #4) is good, and you might benefit from Mike Venturino's books on loading the blackpowder cartridges. Also, The Paper Jacket by the late Paul Matthews is an excellent guide for paper patching bullets should you wish to do that.
The 1859 and 1863 models are NOT cartridge guns so your information is only going to muddy the waters.

Dixie and a some others have made a brass cartridge that can be used in the "paper cutters" and THAT is what the OP is asking about.

If you're expecting any accuracy, first you have to know your actual bore size, then choose a bullet .002 over that figure. THEN worry about fitting your cases.
.541 will be just fine if I can get one in the casing. The bullet needs to be heeled or it's pointless .

I've reloaded metallic cartridges on and off since the 60's. This is a one of a kind issue. Just seeing if if I can find out what others using the brass cases on the Pedersoli Sharps came up with.

I've reloaded metallic cartridges on and off since the 60's. This is a one of a kind issue. Just seeing if if I can find out what others using the brass cases on the Pedersoli Sharps came up with.

Okay, that makes more sense. I was working on my first cup of coffee when I replied and didn't catch the meaning of "those" brass cartridges.

I wonder if this problem hasn't already been solved by someone who may have designed and ordered a mould from Tom at Accurate molds? Might be worth a skim of his on-line catalog.

Okay, that makes more sense. I was working on my first cup of coffee when I replied and didn't catch the meaning of "those" brass cartridges.

I'm on my third cup of coffee and am lost 🙃.

I'd like to see some pictures. This whole conversation is opening up an area I know nothing about.

.541 will be just fine if I can get one in the casing. The bullet needs to be heeled or it's pointless .
In the world of repro arms, the Sharps suffers from a lack of uniformity just like others. Your options are 1) make old style paper cartridges 2) use Charlie's tubes, 3) have the mouth of your brass opened up to accept the bullet you want to use, or 4) use loose powder and bullet. Sorry, but this isn't uncommon. We often see this type of issue in the N-SSA. Doesn't matter Sharps, Smith, Gallagher, Starr, Maynard, you name it.

Forget brass. Buy the Eras Gone Richmond bullet mold and make paper cartridges like these.
20230925_080054.jpg

In the world of repro arms, the Sharps suffers from a lack of uniformity just like others. Your options are 1) make old style paper cartridges 2) use Charlie's tubes, 3) have the mouth of your brass opened up to accept the bullet you want to use, or 4) use loose powder and bullet. Sorry, but this isn't uncommon. We often see this type of issue in the N-SSA. Doesn't matter Sharps, Smith, Gallagher, Starr, Maynard, you n

I'd like to see some pictures. This whole conversation is opening up an area I know nothing As soon as my old camera re-charges--I'll shoot off some pics to you. It should make sense then. The outer dimension of the cartridge is the same ass the bullet.

I'd like to see some pictures. This whole conversation is opening up an area I know nothing about.
Simply put--outer dimension of the cartridge case is the same as the bullets . the heeled ones made for paper are way too small to function. I'll send pics as soon as my old camera re-charges. I figured sine the brass has been out there awhile, some ingenious individual already came up with the answer to this!! You folks are the best. I'm not getting technical here nor looking to 'cut holes" I saved that for the match M-1. Just would like the rifle to do what it was designed to do but use brass instead of paper. Really didn't want to go the 45/70 route 'cause that's a whole different animal. I did come up with a unique and way easy cartridge loading method the addresses that issue but it's a different converation for a different thread.

When using paper cartridges, is the powder protected from moisture in any way? Is the nitrated paper water resistant or do you add something more? I am considering humidity not a downpour.

When using paper cartridges, is the powder protected from moisture in any way? Is the nitrated paper water resistant or do you add something more? I am considering humidity not a downpour.

In absolute .. no.

But the breech assembly is very very tight in a 59 or 60, you’ll get a good number of shots off, once the fouling builds up with the humidity is where you’ll have issues.

I shoot a Sharps in N-SSA competition and do not nitrate the paper and have no issues. I do store them in an airtight container till match time when they go into my cartridge box.

sharpsgroup1.jpg

Latest posts

Back