• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Brass brush for .54 cal.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forrest Smith

32 Cal
Reaction score
Will a .410 shotgun or 20 guage brass brush work for a .54 cal rifled barrel? Or what do you use? I know, I am lazy and didn't do a search here, lol

If you do use a wire brush when you get to the bottom of the barrel turn the cleaning rod clockwise as you pull it out this will prevent the bristles from seizing in the bore. This is not a guarantee fix but it works 99% of the time for me. I don't use a bristle brush often mostly a jag and patches will do.

If you feel your bore actually needs a brush the regular brushes you get at your LGS won't hold together & you will end up with a stuck brush. The brushes sold by Track of the Wolf or October Country are made for ML's & are caliber specific. Screw them onto a brass range rod & twist as you reverse direction and you may avoid posting "Help, my brush is stuck"!! Like Scota@4570 said, You don't need to brush a ML barrel if properly cleaned with soapy water & a good patch.

Agree with the above, you USUALLY do not need a brush but if you decide you must, get one that is not crimped and do as suggested above rotate the brush while trying to pull it out. It will get stuck if you do not rotate it.

If you feel your bore actually needs a brush the regular brushes you get at your LGS won't hold together ...
No kidding, plus there's a wire loop on the end that prevents the brush from getting all the way down to the breech face. You do need brushes designed for cleaning muzzle loader bores. And yes, I do use brushes, sparingly.

Rather than a brush I use patches cut from a Scotch-Bright pad.
What @hanshi says - I use a scotchbrite pad sometimes to clean a rough barrel. In .32-.40 caliber I usually cut the scotchbrite pad in half or else it is too thick and almost impossible to start in the smaller calibers. .45 and bigger usually not a problem because you can start with a smaller jag and as the scotchbrite pad wears a bit you can switch to a larger jag to keep a snug fit.

I've been shooting MLs since 1962. Never found a need for a wire brush. We don't have copper fouling and smokeless powders to deal with. Water alone will clean your barrel. OK now let's start a cleaning discussion. 😂

I got intrigued by this concept for ML .... guess it comes from my days as a high power competitor. Never used on on any ML.
But, I did find some nylon brushes for shotguns that have long flexible bristles that look like they might be useful ... if one was so inclined.
Not sure but maybe the brand is ISSO.

I use an undersize brush and wrap the patch around that to keep the patch from coming off. With that I can scrub the bore and scrub the face of the breech without worrying about the brush and patch getting stuck down bore. A .50 caliber brush in a .54 works.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Last edited:
I use an undersize brush and wrap the patch around that to keep the patch from coming off. With that I can scrub the bore and scrub the face of the breech without worring about the brush and patch getting stuck down bore. A .50 caliber brush in a .54 works.
Ohio Rusty ><>
I use an undersized brush and patch as well. Works well and no sticking brush or lost patch.

There is a good chance the brush will get stuck at the breech and break off the rod. You do not need a brush for a ML.
Good advice and worth heeding. You do not need a brass brush for an ml rifle. If you are determined to use one look for a 'tornado' style. Otherwise just clean yer smoke pole the traditional way with a patch an jag. ML barrels do not lead up like modern guns that can require a brass brush to maintain. This game ain't modern.

Pro Shot sells Black Powder specific bronze brushes for most BP calibers. Black powder in that you can push and pull them unlike smokeless brushes kind of get stuck and when you force them back they lose their effectiveness. I purchase them directly from them and a big bag of their round cotton wiping patches. I’m not sure they have larger than 54 . Regardless if they have the caliber you need buy a couple of each. I think they charge $6 for shipping. And when you buy direct you can plan on having them i a couple days. I highly recommend them !

Latest posts

Back