• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Brass brush for .54 cal.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve used steel wool and scotch brite occasionally but both cut; brushes don’t cut. Pro-Shot brushes don’t unwind either like other brands brushes. They are wound from the feral up. Had it happen to me recently on my smr .45 I used a brush that was laying around and darn thing unwound and it came apart in the barrel.But I got lucky by some miracle God was with me and I was able to get it reconnected turned it clock wise while maintaining turning pressure and removed it by just turning the range rod. That was scary! I’m sure you can probably scotch brite or steel wool your barrel for a long time before it takes to much though. To each his own I will stick with brushes made by Pro Shot look closely!

IMG_1779.jpeg
IMG_1780.jpeg
IMG_1781.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve used steel wool and scotch brite occasionally but both cut; brushes don’t cut. Pro-Shot brushes don’t unwind either like other brands brushes. They are wound from the feral up. Had it happen to me recently. But I got lucky i by some miracle was able to get it reconnected and removed it by just retiting the range rod. I’m sure you can probably scotch brite or steel wool your barrel for a long time before it takes to much though. To each his own I will stick with brushes made by Pro Shot look closely!

View attachment 262660View attachment 262661View attachment 262662
If I’m not mistaken I think they offer them in vinyl too

There is a good chance the brush will get stuck at the breech and break off the rod. You do not need a brush for a ML.
I disagree I use boiling water three flushes minimally wiping 3 or 4 times between flushes; one last flush with boiling water brushed with caliber specific bronze or nylon brush and then I wipe it with patches soaked in either the track of the wolf cleaner or T17 wiped until dry. Then I hit each barrel with a wipe using corrosion x. The end. Over kill unfortunately No that’s what it takes all my barrels to be really clean and zero rust dust the next time I wipe it before shooting. I store them mostly muzzle down after cleaning.

I used to use brushes when I shot Maxi balls and got some leading. I started to put a wool wad over the powder and it stopped gascutting the Maxis and leading the barrels. Have not used a brush in a rifle since. Do get the brushes for my smoothbores.

I don’t use brushes in my MLs. But to each his own.
I feel the only time really gets them clean is by using a brush. Using a brush is a pain! lol
Tell us more. How much?
i think it has grown in popularity amongst people working on rusty cars like my 76 280z. I did some work on it early spring saw it and purchased a can. I did have good success with LPS but I think this stuff has a rust eater so it is a little more than a corrosion inhibitor. Then I tried it on a couple of my flintlocks it certainly keeps rust at bay. Last week I went to my local hardware store to buy an 870 for the day of doom; thankfully that didn’t go off as advertised. This hardware store also sells guns and beer supplies and right along with all the other gun cleaners was Corrosion X. I told the sales guy I use it to persevere the bore on my flintlocks now which are very susceptible to rust. He was a young guy said people seem to like it. He seemed to have no interest in talking flintlocks LOL foolish young generation. I went for the 870 wood stock of course because I didn’t feel like the Brown Bess or Charleville was suitable for close quarters and besides you only get one shot of buck and ball compared to the 870 which gets 6 of double oo buck! 😝
I think a 12 ounce can is near 20 you can find it on Amazon with the free shipping deal. Like I said not cheap.

Off hand do you know if they are available in 69 and 75 cals. I bet they work great! Off to the Pro Shot website to see if they carry them! 🙏
I use a tornado 12 gauge for the .75 and it works great. That and some 12 gauge swabs after. I got the idea of all this from a video. I just sorted it to plug the touch hole as I don’t like black powder spooge water dribbling into my lock mortise and trigger, etc.

Will a .410 shotgun or 20 guage brass brush work for a .54 cal rifled barrel? Or what do you use? I know, I am lazy and didn't do a search here, lol
It's a Muzzleloader. You can use Windex, motor oil, or other odd stuff people these days do - or you can clean it like the Muzzleloader it is;
TOW (not Track of the Wolf; 'tow' it's a plant fiber, flax or hemp will do).

Forget the brush and get a 'Tow Worm' attachment for your cleaning rod (see, Muzzleloader suppliers even have a special attachment!)
A good Tow Worm you have to look for, there are some hand forged ones out there or you can also use one of those 'Patch Puller' attachments that look like a corkscrew (I find them good for small bores too).

With a little practice you will learn how to mount the tow so you can reach all the way down and get every little crevice including that hard to reach breech area!

Muzzleloader Cleaning Kit:
Rod
Jag
Tow Worm
Patches
Tow
Old toothbrush (or new one)

Room temp water
*Soap if desired
Favorite cleaning solution if desired
Oil

Oh, and a device called Q-tips if you want to get all modern

If you feel the need to brush, try using tow on a worm. It acts much like a brush but there's zero chance of it getting stuck. You can rinse and reuse it, and after it's too grungy dry it out and use it as tinder.

Flax tow:
https://smilingfoxforge.com/shop/index.php?id_product=352&rewrite=tow&controller=product
Hemp tow:
https://turkeyfootllc.com/catalog/p/hemp-tow-in-bags
Of the tow I have found, I find hemp generally more course and I feel it cleans and lasts longer then flax.
There are places charging Outrageous prices for tow but with just a little looking you can find it for a decent price. A little will last a Long time, a pound will last forever!

$3.52 per 1 pound, long fiber:
https://www.hemptraders.com/F-L2-p/f-l2.htm
And some people just unravel Jute Rope (from the local hardware store) and make cheap tow that way.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Muzzleloaders, the traditional way (with no 'stuck brushes')!

Back