• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Western Arms Corp Hawken Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi

Great looking rifle in fine condition. I have the standard version, bought it used. Previous owner changed the sights and replaced one of the keys. Yours is of course of greater value to a collector. Mine has the serial # xxx stamped on the breach plug, barrel, lock and also the wood stock under the barrel has the S/N penciled in. All the steel parts on mine are browned, including the lock. Enjoy your new rifle. :thumbsup:

This rifle is a poster child for the "they could not make the gun" statement.
The parts are all there but look at the shaping.
It only resembles a Hawken. This rifle is BASED on the rifle my friend made but they could not make that rifle (they made a few that were farily close but refused to continue) but they could make this misshapen rifle and call it a Hawken.
Shaping is everything in any firearm that is supposed to be something from the past. It is extremely difficult to mass produce a ML that looks like it did in the past. There is too much skill and too much hand work involved in the shaping. The reproduction here was shaped on a belt and drum sander and its impossible to properly shape a traditional ML in this manner.
There might be a Hawken hiding under all that wood but I bet they goofed it so bad it would be difficult to fix.
This is what the lock panels (for example) of a Hawken should look like.
S1070014.jpg

Dan

PS.
It is probably a good shooter but many were actually 53 caliber.
Checking it with a 530 ball and a ticking patch is the only way to know.
If its a 53 then the 520-526 ball is the proper projectile.
Yes Uberti made them they made almost all the guns Allen and later Western Arms sold at least initially.
Dan

Dan Phariss said:
This rifle is a poster child for the "they could not make the gun" statement.
The parts are all there but look at the shaping. It only resembles a Hawken...There might be a Hawken hiding under all that wood but I bet they goofed it so bad it would be difficult to fix.

Dan

But Dan, how do you really feel? Don't hold back now... :surrender:

Fortunately for me, my self esteem isn't wrapped up in this rifle or any firearm. I wasn't looking for a "Hawken Rifle" when I found this. I needed a utilitarian BP rifle to extend the hunting season when I found this for $300. I'm pretty sure this will do the job and I'm pretty sure it was a fair price. I am also pretty sure it isn't a "real" Hawken, and I am pretty sure no one will ever mistake it as one.

Thank you to all the fine folks in this thread and on this forum who offered fine advice and council. I learned a lot, and will put that advice to good use.

If you all ever have any questions about S&W firearms, stop by smith-wessonforum.com and I will be happy to return the favor. :thumbsup:

Regards,
Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen the early Santa Fe Hawkens go for twice what you paid for that one. Mine is serial number 5xxx and is a true 54. The originals were 53 cal but, from what I have heard, the repros in that caliber had a problem with cleaning patches hanging up in the breech.
Winchester sued for infringement on the Western Arms name and the stamping was changed to Allen FA Mfg Co. Santa Fe NM. These rifles are very accurate. You can expect many years of service from that one.

Back