• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wesson 1841 Copy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buickmarti

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just picked up a 45 cal. made in Italy Wesson 1841 reproduction rifle (most likely sold by Dixie in the 70s).

Two questions.
#1 - How would you address the wood chips on the rear of the stock? I have 2 areas to fix (top obvious area and on the the bottom there is about 1/8" gap between brass and wood). My first idea was to use wood filler and then wrap the butt in leather.

#2 - The nipple that is in it has threads that are really long (1/2"). Would it be safe to use a nipple with shorter threads? Want to have a spare at the range.

Plans are to have my daughter use the rifle for 4H since they banned the one she used before.

I'm looking at one just like that on Gunbroker, right now. I was wondering about parts availability.

Using a nipple with shorter threads would be safe from a mechanical viewpoint but may introduce problems. First it could alter ignition and second fouling will build up in the threads that will have to be cleaned out to reinstall the original nipple. Below is a link to a source of nipples. I suggest you identify the threads (metric) on yours and try to find one like the original.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/807/1

The best way to fix the damage is to take a fine tooth saw and cut out the area. Glue in a piece of wood that matches as close as possible the grain and color of the existing wood. shape to follow the stock contour, stain and finish. If it were mine I would use that as an excuse to refinish all the wood with an oil finish and a darker stain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr. Troll if I remember, it's been a looong time, those were made by Palmetto, now defunct. If anyone had parts it would be Dixie but I wouldn't hold my breath. I longed for one when they came out but could never find the cash.

I have one of these, made by "Palmetto" in Brescia and bought from Dixie about 15 years ago. Mine has a fast twist rifling and a "fake" false muzzle.

To repair the chip at the Butt-heel, I would make a brass extension to match the butt plate, cut and inlet it. Do it carefully and it will look like it belongs there.

Mine has a standard 1/4X28 nipple, so I don't have any idea why yours would have such a long thread. Any good gunsmith should be able to make this right. The nipple should bottom out with the flash hole connecting to the one in the breech.

It's got a couple of days to run, so the price might get stupid..or not. Somebody put a redfield rear sight and a Lyman Globe on it, so that might keep the price down. :idunno:

azmntman said:
she was winning right? :shake:

She was shooting a Uberti Cattleman carbine revolver rifle. They claimed it was a unfair advantage because of the shorter and lighter gun.

hawkeye2 said:
The best way to fix the damage is to take a fine tooth saw and cut out the area. Glue in a piece of wood that matches as close as possible the grain and color of the existing wood. shape to follow the stock contour, stain and finish. If it were mine I would use that as an excuse to refinish all the wood with an oil finish and a darker stain.
I would do the same fix but others here have good ideas also - it all depends on what you feel confortable doing.

Buicmarti:

Check out Track of the Wolf's website. They offer nipples in various threads with "extra-long" thread journals. They may have a replacement nipple for you that reaches to the bottom of the nipple-mortise.

I have one made to. Made by Richland arms in Italy. It is a fast twist but shoots great but seems to foul fast. Nice gun.

I also have two of these rifles.Mine are .45.Getting ready to try some paper patch bullets.Fast twist barrel about 1 in 28.Should shoot these 292 hollow base bullets ok.Be interesting.Maybe tomorrow.Sized bullets at .446, two wraps of curler paper sized in .450 sizer.Barrel is .451 Will see

If anyone is interested, the Wesson I was looking at on Gunbroker is sitting at $355 with about and hour to go

Latest posts

Back