• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Went back home for whitetails

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pronghorn

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Went back home to Western New York state to hunt whitetails for the first time in 24 years. My buddy has a .50 cal Dixie Gunworks Tennessee Mountain Rifle I sold him in 1985, and has not fired the gun in many years. I left my flintlocks at home and used that rifle during the hunt.

It was the regular gun season, and we saw many deer, turkey and squirrels. Never had an oportunity to take a buck, but was able to fill my antlerless permit. A 60 yard shot with a .490 patched RB through the lungs put meat in the freezer.

It was great to be back in the hardwoods again, and I wish I had never parted with that rifle. My friend assured me that the rifle will be waiting for me the next time I come to hunt. Already making plans for next year!!
P1010084.jpg

pronghorn said:
Went back home to Western New York state to hunt whitetails for the first time in 24 years.

Good work, and with somebody elses rifle too, congratulations !!
:hatsoff:

Good going. Like all hunting it is the experience and the country. I love the west, but I sure do love the hardwoods of the east as well. Two very different types of hunting.

Outstanding, congratulations! :thumbsup:

I LOVE those Dixie Tennessee rifles, always did.

Spot

Good job and fantastic photo. It's strange how we can return to our original habitat and it just feels "right" to us, no matter how long we've been away. Bill

snowdragon said:
Good job and fantastic photo. It's strange how we can return to our original habitat and it just feels "right" to us, no matter how long we've been away. Bill
There's no place like home.

Good deal Pronghorn!!!!!!!!!!!

Those Dixie Mnt. rifles were quite popular in these parts in the 80's and early 90's. I bought one in flint in 1981 and shot it regularly for 13 years. Had 4 other friends that owned them as well. They proved to be extremely accurate.

That makes for a nice pic the way you posed with the deer!

:hatsoff: Way to go.I'de be kickin my butt pretty good for selling that rifle.Griz

I was hunting in both Cattaraugus and Erie Counties.

Thanks guys for the comments on the photo. Glad you liked it!

I have been kicking my butt for years Griz.

At the end of my hunt I offered to buy back the gun from Jim. His comment was, "It's always been your rifle." Jim is more into the modern MLs, and has not fired that gun for years. We agreed to leave the gun in NY, giving me another reason to return each fall.

Back