• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Well its better i think but not there yet.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Mike I tried to improve my lock panels. Pics below. Not there yet but getn better. Mind you I build these guns for fun and to suit me.
That said I'm still trying to get better.
Thanks all you guys who have helped me to improve on building.Never had any help really when I started this hobby. Except from Jerry Eder from Flintlocks Inc. God rest his soul

Attachments

• IMG_20230907_134008.jpg
    IMG_20230907_134008.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20230907_133947.jpg
    IMG_20230907_133947.jpg
    1,023.7 KB · Views: 0
You getting there the tail on the lock panel is a little off but that is a hard area to work on.

You mean on lock side. I noticed that. I couldmake a sharper curve with would bring the tail of the lock panel up and that would also center the lock tail with the panel tail .
Does that make sense? I didn't know how bad my lock panels looked until Mike pointed them out and got me to looking at originals and some pro builders guns on here. The top gun us the one.

Attachments

• IMG_20230907_145328.jpg
    IMG_20230907_145328.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
You mean on lock side. I noticed that. I couldmake a sharper curve with would bring the tail of the lock panel up and that would also center the lock tail with the panel tail .
Does that make sense? I didn't know how bad my lock panels looked until Mike pointed them out and got me to looking at originals and some pro builders guns on here. The top gun us the one.
If you look at the bottom rear third of the lock panel you got a bulge going back to the tail. That should be the same width as the top. if you reduce that and get rid of the grove it should line up pretty close to the tail of the lock. Your getting there , nobodies perfect at least you are trying and that is how you learn.

Mike I tried to improve my lock panels. Pics below. Not there yet but getn better. Mind you I build these guns for fun and to suit me.
That said I'm still trying to get better.
Thanks all you guys who have helped me to improve on building.Never had any help really when I started this hobby. Except from Jerry Eder from Flintlocks Inc. God rest his soul
The area between the breech plug/tang and the lock panel or between the trigger plate/guard area and the lock panels on the bottom you could use a flat file. Nothing concave.
Kevin

Back