• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Well I had to Bring it Home

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddie2002

40 Cal
Reaction score
I was over at the Alifia Rendezvous last week and found this on a blanket. It was missing the butt plate, ram rod and had a bore plugged up with a bunch of crud and what looked like oily powder and a patch. For a hundred dollars I had to bring it home.
Mountian Rifle resized.jpg

I have already scrubbed the crud out of the barrel and found a new butt plate thanks to flea bay. The bore cleaned up ok but has a little pitting near the muzzle which I'm not too worried about. Looking forward to getting it out to the range. It's a factory build, both the stock and back of the lock have been marked with the same number. Been looking for a .50 caliber Mountain Rifle for a while to match the rest of my collection and just had to pull the trigger on this one. Not planning to refinish it, it's a survivor and deserves to proudly show off it's nicks and dings.

Yes, it's an early CVA with steel furniture, set trigger and round ram rod sleeves. The four screw patch box sold it, didn't even haggle. I'm a sucker for rebuilding an abused muzzle loader. With the replacement butt plate and the ram rod I'm into it for $130.00. ;)

No country of origin on the barrel just "Connecticut Valley Arms Inc." and .50 caliber. I heard that the first style MR had hexagon ram rod sleeves and the made in USA marking on the barrel which was supposed to of been made by Douglas. This one has the round steel sleeves and the barrel could of been imported without a breach plug, finished in the US and not marked for it's origin which CVA did for a short time. The later ones were marked Spain and might of had brass ram rod sleeves. I think it's interesting that both the stock and lock are numbered 437 from the factory. Wonder if it was a yearly production number or total made to that point. Lots of info about them on the internet, wonder how much is true.

Another possibility for the "437" on the stock and barrel:
The lock was inletted onto that stock, and they were both numbered so they would not be separated, and/or mated to a different stock or lock.
I don't know what their manufacturing capacity was. They may have made 5, or 500, or 5,000 rifles a day, for all I know.

Nice find, I to found one a week ago.
Mine has the hexagon ram rod thimbles.

Hello Eddie,

You did good for $130, those old CVA's shoot round balls very well.

AntiqueSledMan.

Back