• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Weld paste, It worked........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidney Smith

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Tried the weld paste that was suggested here, on my matchlock pan. It worked. First try I just slathered it along the edges of the pan like caulk, then hit it with the propane torch. It didnt seep under the part like I thought it would. I then applied the paste directly to the part of the pan that would go against the barrel. Switched to the Mapp gas torch this time, and let it heat up longer, then walked away for 15 minutes. Once cool, I pushed on it, and voila, glued tight. I yanked on it, didn't budge. It ain't pretty but it worked. I probably let the metal get too hot as it started turning blue but oh well it still worked. Thanks to the person who suggested this. I still need to clean up the parts so don't look too closely at this point. Getting there though.

Attachments

• 20240113_180948.jpg
    20240113_180948.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • 20240113_180938.jpg
    20240113_180938.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
If you REALLY want to see how good of a job you did, tap it with a big hammer!! No, don’t do that, it should hold up ok with general use! Nice job!

Looks like your silver solder flowed well. By the way that’s not welding but a good silver solder will hold fine.

Back