• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Weighing round balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oldramrod has it correct. So does the crisco kid. Well said fellas. Anything I cast does not vary more then a few tenths of a gr. gave up weighing 50 years ago. Letting the ball take what it needs from molten lead in the ladle instead of the sprue will solve all problems.

New store bought or new cast, put in container and spray with Barricade so they stay shiny.

You may have differences when casting from lot to lot if you use different batches of lead but using the same batch of lead, if your casting technique is good, you shouldn't get more than a grain or two from ball/bullet to bullet. Even 3 grains isn't going to hurt you.
I've already weighed jacketed bullets from reputable manufacturers and when you get up over 150 or so grains you will notice a weight variance of a couple grains.
So being realistic, how much does your accuracy improve when weighing and sorting your balls? 1/2" at 50 yards, 1"? How much at 100 yards? I would consider 99.9% of our shots during an actual hunting scenario is <100 yards. IMO weighing cast balls from the same lot is an effort in futility.
But if it makes you feel good and makes your confidence higher then by all means go for it. Its your time and like reloading, it could be a method of self relaxation.

If you are a master class target shooter and shooting for score then by all means weigh your lead balls:thumb:;). If you are like the rest of us then you will not benefit from weighing your lead balls. Most of us don't have the skill to shoot all 10s and X's. Stop wasting your time - you will be better served by going to the range and practicing so that one day when you can keep all your shots less than the 9 ring you will then start to benefit from weighing your lead balls;).

Back