• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Speer round balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottK

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a chance to get some .490 Speer round balls on sale. I’m curious as to how these compare to Hornady, specifically if the weights are more or less consistent. I do weigh my balls so a sale price does me no good if they are less consistent.

Would love to hear from anyone who has compared these.

They have been fine for me, BUT I bought my last boxes of them pre-COVID. A lot has changed in the staffing and quality control around the world since COVID.

LD
So what I’m reading here is that you are personally guaranteeing the quality of these balls.

Kidding and appreciate the reply. I have a lot of experience with Speer in the modern shooting world and the quality has always been good.

I have a chance to get some .490 Speer round balls on sale. I’m curious as to how these compare to Hornady, specifically if the weights are more or less consistent. I do weigh my balls so a sale price does me no good if they are less consistent.

Nothing wrong with them. If you need some get them.

For the average shooter you will see no difference. If you are a master class shooter you most likely will see a difference if you do not cull your balls by weight. You be the judge:dunno:

For the average shooter you will see no difference. If you are a master class shooter you most likely will see a difference if you do not cull your balls by weight. You be the judge:dunno:
Thank you all. I will give the Speer balls a try. Price is certainly right vs Hornady.

I don’t know about being a master shooter, but I’m good enough that my groups tightened up when I started weighing balls.

I haven't seen a difference either, could probably mix the two in a ball bag and not notice it.

My OCD hates that the box size is different from the Hornady so they mess up my stack on the shelf...LOL
That kind of stuff bothers me too. That’s why I never throw out old boxes lol.

Any time I have to mix different brands of cartridges into an ammo can it becomes a game of Tetris for me.

That kind of stuff bothers me too. That’s why I never throw out old boxes lol.

Any time I have to mix different brands of cartridges into an ammo can it becomes a game of Tetris for me.

yes, Tetris. That’s exactly it….the struggle is real :)

I mold all my RB's out of scrap lead and wheel weights. At times I run across super sale commercial RB's and pick them up. I, personally, haven't seen a difference which RB I use. We have a saying in the Corps, "It's not the dope on the gun, It's the dope behind it". Semper Fi. 🤪

Latest posts

Back