• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wedge plate screw holes stripped

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefftx

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Link

I hope you all can see the picture below or above. Seems I lost a screw to my Investarms .54 hawken wedge plate after some range practice Saturday morning and that the screw holes are stripped. It also looks like from the picture that it had been previously repaired, but not well.
Question 1. What can I do to make this a permanent fix?
Question 2. TOTW looks like it has screws, but which one? I might have to call them.

Thanks in advance.

[IMG]

I suggest removing the other screw to check the size. Go up one size on your drill bit and drill it out for a larger screw. Good luck - John

Drip a little superglue in the stripped holes. Once set, open the hole with a thin awl/heavy needle and run the original screws back in (gently).

I have often repaired a stripped wood screw hole in wood by taking a wooden match or tooth pick (depending on the hole) and glued it in place with wood glue, cut flush with the wood surface and replaced the screw. In a gunstock, I would taper the match with a knife to go to the bottom of the hole. If the hole is too large for a wooden match, then another wood sliver of the right size could be used. Regardless on a wedge plate the hole will be covered so the wood wouldn't have to perfectly match the original word.

An alternative to wood glue would either be an epoxy, or expanding foam glue like gorilla glue. That way the wood to wood fit isn't as critical as it is with wood glue. They're better at gap filling too. Since it's going to be covered that shouldn't be all that critical.

I usually only use the glue+plug approach if I need to move the position of an existing hole. If the treads are merely stripped, I'll use superglue to fill the gap IF the piece isn't under stress. If the screw is under stress, then I will drill the hole oversized and glue (wood glue) an oversized plug (think pencil-sized plug for a standard sized screw with ~1/8" shank) in place because superglue can be brittle and strip if over-tightened. All that said, the little screw holding the escutcheon plate in place isn't under any considerable stress, so a drop of superglue does just fine.

I just repaired one of these. I put medium thickness CA glue in the hole. I then inserted a a piece of wire and removed the excess. Don't fill the hole with CA glue and accelerator spray. Once dry it hardened the wood and filled the hole enough to make the screw tight again.

If you get impatient and try the screw before the glue is dry, it will stick. Heat the screw, I used a soldering iron, it will release the glue.

I have used the epoxy putty sticks called quickwood. I think JB Weld now has their name on it now and it is made to be used with wood. Cut off a small piece, it will look like the piece of candy called a Bulls Eye when it is cut. It is a two part epoxy you need to mix it well with your fingers until it is an even color. What I have used is a light tan in color and has the consistency of modeling clay when mixed well. Take and pack the existing holes with it, till filled tightly and level it out. I use a round tooth pick cut in half and the fat end to pack with. You have about 15 to 20 minutes to work with it. When it drys completely about and hour (there is no shrinkage) you can drill it. Use the little foil covering to reseal the end of the main stick that you have cut from and put it back into its container and seal it. I have used the same stick for up to 3 years. I actually just finished that 3 year old stick off and it worked just as good as it did when it was first opened. I have used the stuff to build up where to much wood was taken off stocks to strengthen that area. This stuff drys hard. It won't take a stain but I have used wood markers to color it and come close to matching existing wood. DANNY

Thank you all for the responses.

I am waiting on screw replacement with other goodies from TOTW and will try to repair using match stick with wood glue. The method of putting in wood slivers and wood glue has worked for me before on door hinges at home so I'll give it a try on my only ML. I've only be to the range 3x but am loving this black powder shooting. Hope to take an animal in the fall.

Back