• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

We must all be in this together, we are here.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just adding this on at the end... The way I see it...it may well be that there could be a benefit in unity with the plastic stock boys...but there is more to it than that...for one, now I could be wrong, but it appears that a lot of them have different values than we on this forum do. I think that just blanketly saying we need to "join" forces could be a grave mistake. Let's not forget, this is a traditional ml forum. Now as far as this disease goes, I doubt if it is due to over population. My bet is it is what the deer are eating. They are getting into something that should not be there. Be it some commercial feed or something else. By the same token, I truly believe that is one of the reasons why humans today in this country are having health problems...all these dang chemicals in food today.
Hell, some of what you see in food stores today is not even food...just a bunch of chemicals and flavoring. :cursing:

From what I understand of CWD is that it is like mad cow disease. That was caused by feeding cattle feed that had some kind of protein in it that basically was obtained from the left overs of processed cattle. Basically they were cannibalising other cattle. I could be wrong, but there was a verry similar occurrence among the natives in papua New Guinea and it was spread by the consumption of the ashes of there dead relatives. Over population in the herd may not really cause disease but it provides an excellent opportunity to spread it around. Thin the herd and you decrease the chance it has to get around. Have any humans got CWD ?

I'm tryin to wrap my mind about what you said... If I read you correctly...thinning the herd will stop the spreading of the disease. Er...I doubt that it is contagious. Assuming that the disease is the same as mad cow...it isn't passed from cow to cow. Now, it may be that a female that has it can pass it to a calf...I have no knowledge of that though. As far as humans getting it, from what I have seen on documentaries of the New Guinea folk...they ate the brains of the dead. I figure if one did not eat that or any of the spinal column one would be safe. At least that is where they (folks who know) said the disease was based. Now, no way am I gonna turn ghoul and try human brain but as for animals..I am of the mind that the same thing applies. Stay away from the brain/spinal column and one would be safe. Also, I would think that cooking the meat well should destroy any bacteria and such. The down side is that well cooked deer is not something that is as great tasting as deer that has not been turned into shoe leather.

It is not certain how CWD is transmitted, but deer observation in Colorado and Wyoming has shown that both lateral (animal to animal) and maternal (mother to offspring) transmission may be possible. The most likely means of transmission is between animals that are in close contact with each other. The epidemiology supports lateral transmission as the major mode of transmission as most affected animals in the Colorado and Wyoming facilities were unrelated. In addition, the elk and mule deer placed in pens that had housed infected cervids (members of the deer family) for many years became infected, even though there were no other cervids on the premises, leading to the assumption that the environment of a facility could be a source of the disease.
Where has it occurred?
In 1967, Chronic Wasting Disease was first detected in deer in northeast Colorado. CWD has not been found in Ohio. As of September 2005, it has been diagnosed in wild or captive deer and/or elk in Colorado, Wyoming, Wisconsin, South Dakota, New Mexico, Utah, Nebraska, Saskatchewan, Oklahoma, Minnesota, Illinois, Kansas, Montana, New York, West Virginia and Alberta. Visit the Chronic Wasting Disease Alliance website for an updated map.

What are the symptoms and how is it diagnosed?
Elk and deer with CWD may not produce any visible symptoms of the disease for a number of years. Eventually, as the disease becomes worse, animals may exhibit loss of weight, excessive salivation, trouble swallowing, difficulty in judging distance, and drooping ears. Unfortunately, these symptoms are not specific to CWD and can occur with other diseases as well. Currently, the only validated method to diagnose CWD is by examining the brain tissue after the animal has died.

"But I ask you and the others who will not let the in-line debate die to pleas let it go and address the topic of this post which is getting an opportunity to thin the deer herds where they arnt getting thinned"

You may want to re-read the first paragraph of the original post...

I am one who thinks this debate of black powder inlines vs traditional is wrong and only hurts our sport. Not all Inlines are the same.

When you subtract the scopes, 209 primers, smokeless powder, were talking about similar weapons accept for appearances. Yet there are those who are willing to seperate the inline crowd to their own seperate season. It comes across as exclussionary. Some may like that but I'm not one of them.

I use a traditional ML but have no problem with inline users who have the same disadvantages/advantages as my rifle.

By the way, CWD is spread by a protein pinion (sp?) left on the ground by an infected animal. If another animal feeds and picks up that protein they get infected. That is why Feeders have been banned in CWD areas.

"I use a traditional ML but have no problem with inline users who have the same disadvantages/advantages as my rifle."

I agree, any frontstuffer with open iron fixed sights, patched RB or documentable period type conical, open ignition of a type documentable to the ML era should be allowed in a ML hunt.

Pittsburghunter,

I live and hunt near the NH coast. I agree there are areas of our state (M tag in hand) with very large deer populations. I try to help with the thinning when possible. We are in a shotgun only area and I only use the mz's. Good weather the flinter and bad the Encore.

Just a couple of thoughts on the in-line discussion. I hunt with a bow, a beautiful hand made (not a kit) .50 cal flintlock and a T/C Encore. As I review my recent deer kills (and misses), each was possible with the bow or either muzzleloader. The common thread was being in the right place at the right time and the deer not aware of my presence. I think it is more important to get into the woods and hunt, than what we are hunting with. The deer do not care how fast we miss them.

Now a question. Is Embert Johnson still in Pittsburg? A fine fellow and good friend when my family was young and camping at Moose Falls.

Lee

Back