• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WD 40?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4given

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I see a lot of you use WD40 to oil your bores. I was under the impression you were not supposed to use petrolium products with black powder.

The label on my can of WD 40 says "contains petrolium distilated" so I have avoided its use.

Am I missing something here?

I have used WD40 for many years and have been satisfied with the results...I clean with hot soapy water, use compressed air to get all the water out then use WD40. If I do not plan to shoot for some time, then I wipe the bore with clean patches and use gun oil to maintain the surface and bore.??? works for me...

I think the distinction is to not shoot petroleum based products with black powder as they apparently can create tar under high temperature. Some people use WD 40 as a protectant for storage, but it is not a lube. I expect any residue is cleaned out before shooting.

4given said:
I see a lot of you use WD40 to oil your bores. I was under the impression you were not supposed to use petrolium products with black powder.
The label on my can of WD 40 says "contains petrolium distilated" so I have avoided its use.
Am I missing something here?
I switched to WD40 as a bore lube about 10-12 years ago now and have never had a problem...store them muzzle down, and before loading to shoot or hunt, I dry patch the bore as added insurance.

Product labels can be a little tricky...there are laws that if ANY petroleum products of any amount are contained in something, the label must state that...but I think the degree or amount is really what's important.

For example, one of the finest commercially made patch lube & solvents is Hoppes PLUS Blackpowder Solvent & Patch lube but it's back label includes that same comment. I assume the amount is so insignificant that it's not an issue, because it's an outstanding product for muzzleloaders.

NewStyle8ozbottle-1.jpg

I use VVL 800,( LWO-- light weapons oil,,any 0311's out there) when I can get it or Silicone oil in a spray and wipe down my rifles for long term storage.silicone, no residue and has staying power.
I was in Electronics in the Navy, aircraft at sea,and we had a Technical Maintenance Instruction (TMI) that WD40 was not a water displacement and was not to be used on electronics cause it will collect and hold moisture.

Sperit de bois said:
"...we had a Technical Maintenance Instruction (TMI) that WD40 was not a water displacement and was not to be used on electronics cause it will collect and hold moisture..."

:grin: Let's see now:

On the one hand we have 40-50 years of proven track record as a water displacement product all over the world;

On the other hand we have a government manual stating it collects and holds water;

Think I'll go with the world wide majority (and my experience since the 70's) on this one...LOL

I use WD40 after cleaning the weapon right before storing it nose down. When it comes time to shoot, run a couple of patches down the barrel and pop a couple caps before loading to clear out any excess oils from the nipple and fire chanel. Seems to be working fine and dandy.

Enough experienced folks around here use WD-40 to lead me to believe that it does have beneficial properties. However, one thing I do know from experience is that it should never be used before thoroughly drying a gun anyway. After a rain soaked morning in a duck blind and no shots taken, my buddy simply unloaded his shotgun (a modern auto), wiped the outside with a rag, and coated the heck out of it inside and out with WD-40. The next week when he got it out the bore and spots on the action were rusted badly. The WD (Water Displacement) does not mean that moisture will magically disappear (just "displaced"), if left in an enclosed space like a bore where it cannot evaporate quickly the moisture will find a home.

It's a fine product, and my concern is not the petroleum distillates. Simple cleaning/wiping before shooting negates the issue in my experience.

There are situations of climatic "hot spots" where it isn't all that good at rust protection. I happen to live in one, due to the high salt content in our air. Heck, we can get so much salt in the air that following windy days blowing spray off the ocean, the power grid can short out due to accumulated salt in the wrong places. Not an electrician and can't explain it, but it points out we have waaaaay too many danged devices in the house that need their clocks reset after power dumps.

Guys that prefer WD40 around here (a small minority) get around the lesser rust protection simply by cleaning and oiling more often. Most use other products. The bottom line is to use what you like, but use it in a way that works for your setting.

Sperit de bois said:
I use VVL 800,( LWO-- light weapons oil,,any 0311's out there) when I can get it or Silicone oil in a spray and wipe down my rifles for long term storage.silicone, no residue and has staying power.
I was in Electronics in the Navy, aircraft at sea,and we had a Technical Maintenance Instruction (TMI) that WD40 was not a water displacement and was not to be used on electronics cause it will collect and hold moisture.

Now I have another reason why I did not enlist in the Navy. Did y'all take a lot of bull butter to sea?
Nor Larsen, the inventor of WD-40, told me personally that it is a pure petroleum product specifically designed to displace moisture from electronics in a high humidity environment.
I use WD-40 (sometimes) as a lock lubricant. I will use it for short term barrel protectant for storage. I have used it for patch lube with no negative effects other than I find other lubes give better results.
Personally, I believe the 'no petroleum' thing with ml's is a fabricated myth.

I've been using TC Bore butter. What have you all been using?

What is good to use for long term storage?

roundball said:
Sperit de bois said:
"...we had a Technical Maintenance Instruction (TMI) that WD40 was not a water displacement and was not to be used on electronics cause it will collect and hold moisture..."

:grin: Let's see now:

On the one hand we have 40-50 years of proven track record as a water displacement product all over the world;

On the other hand we have a government manual stating it collects and holds water;

Think I'll go with the world wide majority (and my experience since the 70's) on this one...LOL

I think I see a voting coming up :grin:
One more vote for world wide majority :stir:

Rifleman1776 said:
Now I have another reason why I did not enlist in the Navy. Did y'all take a lot of bull butter to sea?
I don't see where casting dispersions on someones choice of service is necessary here. Especially if one never served. :patriot:
Nor Larsen, the inventor of WD-40, told me personally that it is a pure petroleum product specifically designed to displace moisture from electronics in a high humidity environment.
Perhaps we should be asking exactly how does WD-40 disperse water and where does it go? It doesn't magically evaporate, does it. If not wiped down afterwards the water is still there. If used on a circuit board in a horizontal mounting merely spraying it with WD doesn't remove the water. WD is a good product but is not magical.

Enjoy, J.D. ASCS(AW/SW), U.S.N. (RET)

What is good to use for long term storage?

That is one of those questions that will get you ten responses from five people and a never ending debate. I have used RIG for quite a few years. I have also used CLP Break Free and Tri-Flow. I'm not fussy as long as it works. Actually, some rifles with WD-40 are rust free after years of storage.
Just use something. Your climate has a lot to do with what works best.

I never heard it was bad to use petroleum products until the 80s when the Bore Butter type lubes came out...

Previous to that I was ignorant and simply ran a patch down my barrel to dry it, load it and shoot...I never had a problem with the "tar" buildup...

I still do the same thing...Advertising is an amazing thing... :)

BrownBear said:
The bottom line is to use what you like, but use it in a way that works for your setting.
:thumbsup:
That really is the bottom line...it takes in differences in cleaning regimens, geographic / weather conditions, storage conditions, etc

hmm i was in the Navy for almost 7 years and just got out and we used WD-40 to displace water... :hmm:

My father and i have been cleaning our guns with a ammonia based cleaner and lubed our barrels with WD-40 for over 30 years and have not one spec of rust, pitting or any ill effect that people claim it does. point is it all comes down to preferences but WD-40 displaces water (and oil), protects metals from rusting, and does not leave gunky oil in your barrel when it dries.

jdkerstetter said:
Rifleman1776 said:
I don't see where casting dispersions on someones choice of service is necessary here. Especially if one never served. :patriot:
Perhaps we should be asking exactly how does WD-40 disperse water and where does it go? It doesn't magically evaporate, does it. If not wiped down afterwards the water is still there. If used on a circuit board in a horizontal mounting merely spraying it with WD doesn't remove the water. WD is a good product but is not magical.

Enjoy, J.D. ASCS(AW/SW), U.S.N. (RET)

You asked where does the water go. Well it stays there until it evaporates. What happens is the WD-40 will lift the water away from the metal and inso doing it coats the metal. The water will lay on top of the WD-40 and away from the metal! At least that is what is supposed to happen. Been using it for years and I have no complaints.

Does that answer your question sir? :doh:

Rafsob said:
Well it stays there until it evaporates.
And that is probably why it isn't recommended in sealed box electonics.
What happens is the WD-40 will lift the water away from the metal and inso doing it coats the metal. The water will lay on top of the WD-40 and away from the metal!
So, it is magic? It floats on water but will float water off metal surfaces. :stir:
At least that is what is supposed to happen. Been using it for years and I have no complaints.
Me too! :slap:

Enjoy, J.D.

Back