• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Max Brown on my Kibler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve got a couple questions about using the Jax Brown product Kibler sells on the barrel and steel parts for my Woodsrunner. I’ve watched Jim’s video on putting patina on steel parts and I’ve followed his directions as best I could.

The results haven’t been great so far. The first application didn’t change the metal finish much at all, so I cleaned it up and put on a second coat. This one started to give me a sort of weak tea colored patina. My plan is to do a third application, but I wanted to ask the advice of those who have been here before.

1) How long do you leave the Jax Brown on? There’s no mention of this in Jim’s video or on the product label.

2) The label suggests rinsing with water, but Jim suggests spraying the parts down with WD-40 (Which is what I’ve done). What’s the purpose of the WD-40 in this process?

Thanks for your help.

I’ve used Jax Brown on brass and had good results. Let it sit until you get a darker color than you want, 1 to 2 minutes, add additional coats as needed, then gently draw the color back with 0000 steel wool while rinsing the part under tap water. Wipe it dry and spray it with WD-40 and let it sit 10-15 minutes. Supposedly the WD-40 fully neutralizes the solution.

I’ve got a couple questions about using the Jax Brown product Kibler sells on the barrel and steel parts for my Woodsrunner. I’ve watched Jim’s video on putting patina on steel parts and I’ve followed his directions as best I could.

The results haven’t been great so far. The first application didn’t change the metal finish much at all, so I cleaned it up and put on a second coat. This one started to give me a sort of weak tea colored patina. My plan is to do a third application, but I wanted to ask the advice of those who have been here before.

1) How long do you leave the Jax Brown on? There’s no mention of this in Jim’s video or on the product label.

2) The label suggests rinsing with water, but Jim suggests spraying the parts down with WD-40 (Which is what I’ve done). What’s the purpose of the WD-40 in this process?

Thanks for your help.

Newaygo77
I dropped ramrod pipes, pistol trigger guard and other small parts (steel and brass) in a small pan with enough JAX to cover the parts. I left them for a few minutes. I took them out and rinsed them with water while rubbing with a grey ScotchBrite pad until I got the color I wanted. Then I sprayed the steel parts w/ WD40. With the barrel and large steel parts like the butt plate and rifle trigger guard, I applied the JAX with a ScotchBrite pad. I rubbed the part with the wet (with JAX) pad until I got the color I wanted. Then I sprayed them w/ WD40 - not water. Turned out great.
Good Luck,
Kevin

Thanks Kevin. Are you saying that the color on the barrel was made darker by rubbing with the wet Scotch Brite pad? I was just sort of using it as a sponge to apply the liquid, as Jim’s video seemed to suggest. Should I be actively scouring the barrel with the wet pad?

I agree, pictures will help, but it’s tough to get an image that shows the situation. The small parts turned out better (darker) than the barrel. Maybe I’m expecting too much, but the barrel finish after two coats just seems to be close to raw steel.

Attachments

• 0E20812B-39CC-4A9B-B994-36992382A56B.jpeg
    0E20812B-39CC-4A9B-B994-36992382A56B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • C676DACD-5FF2-49F0-8101-65923C7542CA.jpeg
    C676DACD-5FF2-49F0-8101-65923C7542CA.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I agree, pictures will help, but it’s tough to get an image that shows the situation. The small parts turned out better (darker) than the barrel. Maybe I’m expecting too much, but the barrel finish after two coats just seems to be close to raw steel.
I think your barrel color is good, but if you want it darker just add more coats.

Thanks Kevin. Are you saying that the color on the barrel was made darker by rubbing with the wet Scotch Brite pad? I was just sort of using it as a sponge to apply the liquid, as Jim’s video seemed to suggest. Should I be actively scouring the barrel with the wet pad?
I used JAX Black on the steel parts and JAX Brown on the brass. I was using the Scotch Brite as a sponge also. I applied it the same way Jim did. I did however spray the parts down with Brakleen before I started to make sure they were completely free of oil and dirt before I started.

Attachments

• IMG_8682.jpg
    IMG_8682.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
I used JAX Black on the steel parts and JAX Brown on the brass. I was using the Scotch Brite as a sponge also. I applied it the same way Jim did. I did however spray the parts down with Brakleen before I started to make sure they were completely free of oil and dirt before I started.
I saw the video where Jim uses Antique house parts solution in the shawhshank workshop. Which video does he use the Jax products in?

Thanks for your help.
WD-40 leaves a residual film behind. This is why you don't use the stuff for lubricating locks. If you leave some WD-40 in a dish until it dried up, you will see the residue, and it stays tacky. All of the chemicals that are shown on the SDS will completely evaporate to dryness, so they have left out something. That something, I believe, from examining the residue, is linseed oil. This oil adheres to metal surfaces like a thin sealer and will inhibit further rusting. Because it is significantly diluted by the mineral spirits and light mineral oil content, it goes on very thin, especially when wiped down with a cloth and rubbed in. My inclination would be, instead of WD-40, to get some nice Danish Oil cabinet finish, dilute it 4:1 with mineral spirits, and rub it into the oxide color layer on your metal parts in such a way that there is only a faint dampened look left behind. YMMV

I saw the video where Jim uses Antique house parts solution in the shawhshank workshop. Which video does he use the Jax products in?
I'm not sure which video he uses the JAX products in. It's the same process. Large parts like the butt plate, barrel and trigger guard, I wiped the product on. Small parts like ramrod pipes, lock parts and pistol trigger guard, I put in a plastic container and poured the solution over them. When they're darker than you want, take them out of the solution, rinse them off and rub back with WD40 and a ScotchBrite pad until you get the color you want.
Good luck,
KvinIMG_8688.jpgIMG_8690.jpg

I'm not sure which video he uses the JAX products in. It's the same process. Large parts like the butt plate, barrel and trigger guard, I wiped the product on. Small parts like ramrod pipes, lock parts and pistol trigger guard, I put in a plastic container and poured the solution over them. When they're darker than you want, take them out of the solution, rinse them off and rub back with WD40 and a ScotchBrite pad until you get the color you want.
Good luck,
KvinView attachment 287010View attachment 287011
Thanks Kevin. You do nice work!

Back