• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do they mix?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eutycus

Cannon
Reaction score
When my aerosol cans of WD 40 go flat and lose their air I generally poke a hole in them and pour the contents in a small jar. It's usable with a cotton swab that way. I accidentally mixed some Liquid Wrench in with the WD 40 the other day. They seem compatible and this jar of WD40 now holds about 15-20% Liquid Wrench. Granted it's not a lubricant but do You think any harm will come by using this mix as a gun oil?

When my aerosol cans of WD 40 go flat and lose their air I generally poke a hole in them and pour the contents in a small jar. It's usable with a cotton swab that way. I accidentally mixed some Liquid Wrench in with the WD 40 the other day. They seem compatible and this jar of WD40 now holds about 15-20% Liquid Wrench. Granted it's not a lubricant but do You think any harm will come by using this mix as a gun oil?
I wouldn’t use either as a gun oil to lubricate moving parts, individually or as a mix. For cleaning or externally coating a barrel for example, go for it. If there is an issue, you should easily see it. Both are said to work for loosing rusted/stuck threads, and I believe that the Liquid Wrench I have may have Teflon in it, but still wouldn’t call it call it a lubricant. If trying to do a gun lubricant on the cheap, maybe get a quart of synthetic oil or transmission fluid at a place like WallyWorld. Should last you a long time.

After many WD40 cans going flat (losing air) I contacted the maker. They said nothing was wrong. I do the hole-poke thing and keep a small jar full of the left over oil.. It still annoys me that the company produces a product that does not allow you to use the whole can.

ADK Bigfoot

I put the nozzle of my air hose on cans that lost pressure and blow them up till they will empty.

[remove the spry nozzle and shoot straight down with hand pressure pull trigger on air hose it will fill up the pressure]
I have heard of that "trick" but at the moment I don't have a compressor. Would one of those inflators that you plug into the cigarette lighter in your car work perhaps?

Eutycus, after watching a youtube video, I’ve used a car tire valve stem to inflate a dead aerosol can. Remove the nozzle on the can and use either the long or short valve stem. They fit right over the can opening. Attach a compressor tire inflator and air it up. I’ve never tried it with a cigarette lighter compressor but a valve stem is probably under $5 at a tire store, so it is worth a try. I would buy the cheapest valve stem you can find. Good luck.

Eutycus, after watching a youtube video, I’ve used a car tire valve stem to inflate a dead aerosol can. Remove the nozzle on the can and use either the long or short valve stem. They fit right over the can opening. Attach a compressor tire inflator and air it up. I’ve never tried it with a cigarette lighter compressor but a valve stem is probably under $5 at a tire store, so it is worth a try. I would buy the cheapest valve stem you can find. Good luck.
Like you said, it's worth a try.

But why can't the engineers at WD 40 figure it out? It seems like that of all the products that come in aerosol cans it's always the WD 40 that runs out of air. Granted it takes more air to move a "heavy" product but this stuff can't be the heaviest or most dense, can it?

Good idea!

Latest posts

Back