• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WD-40, it's not just for guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife's cookies tasted funny for years...

Many years ago my wife and I were on a camping trip. Had all our food stashed in a wooden box in the back of the pickup. Somehow a topless can of WD40 got tossed in with the food. After a long day of driving we arrived at our destination, unpacked, hurried to cook what we thought would be a great dinner and sat down to eat. Yuk! As things shifted around during travel, the entire can of WD40 discharged. All the food was contaminated. Even had to burn the box. Still can't use WD40 without gagging a few times.

My wife's cookies tasted funny for years until she started use'n Pam on the cookie sheets instead of WD40!! :thumbsup:

RB,

Is your wife also blind? :crackup:

:blah:

:thumbsup:

Lehigh County, propa longarms.

My wife's cookies tasted funny for years until she started use'n Pam on the cookie sheets instead of WD40!! :thumbsup:

RB,

Is your wife also blind? :crackup:

:blah:

:thumbsup:

Lehigh County, propa longarms.

"YEP"!!.... and she's also a "ding-bat", I mean after all,.... look "who" she married!! :eek: :haha:

YMHS
rollingb

I don't use much WD-40, (I have been known to fib) but I buy it at Checkers Auto for less than ten bucks a gallon. Put into a squirt can, it sure beats the heck out of the aerosol high bucks route.

I don't use much WD-40, (I have been known to fib) but I buy it at Checkers Auto for less than ten bucks a gallon. Put into a squirt can, it sure beats the heck out of the aerosol high bucks route.

Didn't know it even came in a pure liquid form...what I mainly like about WD40 that I've always bought is the aerosol itself...to blast deep into nooks and crevices to drive out gunk, moisture, etc...got in the habit of whenever I see a big display on sale with those 30% larger cans, I buy several...helps hold down the cost a little bit that way.

Judging from your post, I'm assuming you've never had any negative results from using it on firearms either...it is puzzling to me that posts pop up referencing somebody else told so and so that they heard someody else say it caused problems, etc.

I can say point blank I've personally used WD40 in all the hammer/trigger mechanisms on five Remington 1100/1187 skeet and trap shotguns virtually every weekend for 15-20 years;
And the hammer/trigger assemblies on S&W .22 and .45ACP autos plus revolvers for years, Marlin lever actions, Remington bolt actions, Remington semi-autos, Remington pumps, and now muzzleloader locks for at least 15 years...never had any unexplained problems what-so-ever.
:hmm:

I also get WD-40 in the gallon size and use a pump spray. I use in in firearms to chase out water after a rain/snow soaking while hunting, and in the barrel after a wash-up (I squirt & up-end the barrel to drain).

The biggest problem I am aware of is when gun owners try to use it as a lube. It starts out well but then dissipates, leaving a film that attracts junk and is not much as a lubricant. Never had what I would say was a negative effect, but then I use a penetrating oil like Rem-Oil or Miracle Oil for the "real" lubrication, and I use CLP Breakfree for protection (or a wipedown with Moose Snot on my m/l ::).

As a flushing agent for crud and at displacing water WD-40 is great stuff.

I have used it in all my centerfire and .22 cartridge guns as well as all the muzzleloaders i have owned, and that is a bunch over the years. i have never had any kind of problem with it, I have left muzzleloaders in my gun safe for months with just WD-40 in the barrel and no rust. I do take them out occasionally and check them with a clean patch and put a fresh coat on them.

my understanding is that aerosol WD40 leaves a residue that can gum up fine mechanisms. My experiences with it have been OK for the most part. I did have trouble with the mechanisms of two different double barrel shotguns that a gunsmith attributed to WD40, but I am not sure about that...I have used it for years. P.S. you can spray it on plastic baits as a fish attractant....

"Never had what I would say was a negative effect, but then I use a penetrating oil like Rem-Oil or Miracle Oil for the "real" lubrication, and I use CLP Breakfree for protection (or a wipedown with Moose Snot on my m/l )."

I think you hit the nail on the head. I have always used WD on firearms, fishing reels & such, but, I also always lube with a good grade of oil or grease. (got a M-1 Garand, it is a grease only piece) Another thing I do is occasionally soak most mechanisms with alcohol and blast out those areas with the air nozzle at about 60 psi.

Nothing negative from the WD if I do my part, when there is, it is an operator malfunction, read me.

It's like most everything else. Use it right, works great. Use it wrong, blame the product.

I use it , works for me. About 25 yrs. or so ago the same group of people who did the tests for the military to select a new handgun did tests to select a lubricant for the military. In testing wd-40 they said that they found it to be diesel fuel with some added perfume to make it smell better. They found Breakfree to be a super lube.
After cleaning I wipe my barrel inside and out with wd-40
on a patch. No problems.

The police dept my brother served with warned all their officers not to use WD-40 because it penetrated into the cartridges making them useless. I ignored his warning (what do little brothers know) and found that sure enough, he was[url] right...made[/url] a club out of my home defense gun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never heard that one before, and it certainly has never happened to me, or to anyone else I know of.

Latest posts

Back