• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Waxing your barrel/bore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waxing a bullet and waxing the entire bore appear to be considerably different...

The article was about waxing the cartridges that in turn wax the bore on the way down...the same as a patch....

The following sentence in the article states:

"When pure it exhibits no tendency to promote the corrosion of lead nor does it undergo, by long preservation, any change likely to prove injurious to the metal."

It appears to be talking specifically about the lead. That said - context is important....

Black Hand said:
It appears to be talking specifically about the lead. That said - context is important....
No! They are discussing bullet corrosion, but also the gun barrel itself...They also discuss the clear advantages regarding corrosion to the bullet manufacturing machines, and the need to no longer lubricate them with vegetable oils after they switched to beeswax.

I'm not arguing its ability to prevent corrosion on exterior metal. I have serious questions whether it would function well as a protectant INSIDE the bore given the conditions it would be subjected to when shooting. Lubing a bullet is not the same thing.

All that aside - if the shooter has done a proper job of cleaning and lubing/oiling the interior of the bore - rust shouldn't be a problem. If rust continues to be a problem in the bore, there is something else going on. Waxing the bore will only serve to trap what is causing the rust UNDER the wax and likely exacerbate the problem rather than helping.

Black Hand said:
All that aside - if the shooter has done a proper job of cleaning and lubing/oiling the interior of the bore - rust shouldn't be a problem. If rust continues to be a problem in the bore, there is something else going on. Waxing the bore will only serve to trap what is causing the rust UNDER the wax and likely exacerbate the problem rather than helping.
:thumbsup:

Rust or any corrosion on metal is controlled by an impermeable surface covering preparation designed to stop oxygen contacting the surface.
With a vehicle it is paint over a very clean & well prepared surface. Rust prevention is the reason that paint is applied. Colour is a distant second reason.
Before coating any metal surface it needs proper cleaning & preparation.
Any impermeable coating will prevent rust.
O.

Just what is it you seek to use wax to protect the bore from? Barricade is already made for just that purpose. Seems like folks seek to complicate things a little more than necessary.

Waxing your bore isn't complicated.

I haven't tried it yet, so it's all hypothetical at this point. I would imagine it would make the first ball go down easier, but maybe not.

I'm not expecting any miracle here. Anything that works is worth exploring. Whether it actually works is the question.

Gene L said:
I've long been a fan of car wax for protecting the finish on guns. A light coat buffed off will protect the finish against moisture and even fingerprints.

I had a Python that I waxed and it remained beautiful after handling and lost none of that deep blue. Likewise, it works on nickel guns.

So I wonder if it wouldn't work as a protection on the bore of a muzzle loader. It sure works on a .22 rifle, the bores of which almost never rust.

I know it will work on the outside, including the wood. Has anyone ever tried this on the bore?

The original post was about car wax (and I assume any other wax of that general type like Johnson's Paste Wax) and not bullet lube wax or bees wax etc.. These are not the same as automotive polishes and while this is all interesting we are drifting a long way from the original subject. As Gene L just posted waxing the bore isn't difficult but has anyone here actually tried it? Is anyone willing to try it (I'm not)? It would be as simple as running a couple of polish saturated patches down the barrel, waiting for the haze to form and sending a clean dry patch down to remove it. As I posted earlier (Post#1555669) I have used Turtle Wax automotive polish and Johnson's Paste Wax on the exterior metal parts of firearms including those finished in the white with a good bright surface finish with excellent results regarding protection against rust. Yes, I have shot those guns in the rain, we skirmish in all types of weather. That, however, is the limit of my experience.

Should I start a new thread regarding the use of Rain-X to protect the bore? :grin: :v

Back