• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wash Pillow Ticking

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99whip

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Do you guys wash pillow ticking before using for patches? I know cotton drill has sizing in it but the gal at JoAnn's Fabric says ticking doesn't contain sizing..

I honestly do not know whether ticking has sizing in it or not but my suspicion is that it does have it. Why wouldn't it if all other cotton fabrics have sizing? In any case, I wash and iron all fabrics before cutting my patches.

I wash it and dry it on the hot cycle. It shrinks it and, IMO, tightens the weave. I'm also trying to eliminate insecticides. Can't help but remember that much of our patch material originates in the country that se t us toys coated in lead based paint and cadmium :shocked2:

This ^^^^

If no sizing, it probably has starch to make the fabric look better.

I can "taste" the difference (washed vs unwashed) when using spit patches - I'd rather not remove sizing/starch/whatever in my MOUTH, LOL !!!

She doesn't know what she is talking about. I wash so I will know I have a consistent product to work with. Sizing is not part of the fomula of any Moose/Dutch or other patch lubes I'm familiar with. :wink:

marmotslayer said:
I wash it and dry it on the hot cycle. It shrinks it and, IMO, tightens the weave.

I do the same, it does tighten the weave IMO and makes a good patch, I use the red ticking (its around .015) for my .40 cal. (.395 ball) and use a blue ticking that's around .024 for my 50 cal. (.490 ball).

Last stuff I got at Wally's had tan stripes and did not seem ver tough. Have yet to try it.

Also picked up some Jo Ann #40 and it did not seem as stout either! Might have to try some denim.

I like the blue ticking from WalMart and I do wash and dry it. It makes it softer and more absorbent for the mink oil I like. That's what works for me.

Ultimate use dictates whether product is sized.

It'd be cheaper not to size a fabric that's rarely going to be laundered and which is intended to be used covered.

She works in a fabric industry and probably knows more than the poets, mechanics and professional politicians who gather here.

My 2¢

2571 said:
Ultimate use dictates whether product is sized.

It'd be cheaper not to size a fabric that's rarely going to be laundered and which is intended to be used covered.

She works in a fabric industry and probably knows more than the poets, mechanics and professional politicians who gather here.
She? Does she have a name and some documentation? :haha:

Latest posts

Back