• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

wascaly wabbits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Cannon
Reaction score
I've had a tough rabbit season this year, I think my best rabbit-shooting years are behind me. I've know it would happen, because we do grow old in spite of our best intentions, and reflexes aren't forever. I did finally manage to collect one, today, and it turned out to be a sort of special hunt. Last day of our season, and I was badly wanting one to add to the list of game taken with cedar bark wadding without waiting a year.

I've been experimenting with shredded cedar bark for wadding, and the idea that it can be gathered in the wild seemed an interesting one, so I went on the hunt without wadding of any sort. Not a trivial thing, because the farm is 30 miles from my supply of Circle Fly wads. Once I got to the farm I found a big cedar and peeled some bark, shredded it to load with.

bark2.jpg

Phillipscedar2.jpg

I was carrying my Phillips double flint 20 gauge and loaded both barrels with 70 gr. 2F Goex and equal volume of #6 shot, using the collected bark as wadding. I busted briars for a couple of hours, moved a couple of rabbits, but had no shot. I hiked back to the car for a lunch break and a rest, that's hard work. When I was a kid hunting rabbits we usually stopped by a country store and bought a sandwich for lunch, frequently bologna on white bread with yellow mustard, and a strawberry Nehi. That's a pleasant memory of good times, so I stopped by a local country general store and got one just like it, today. Boy, they still taste good!!

bologna2.jpg

In the afternoon I hit it again. I moved a bunny and missed a snap shot at it, wasn't much surprised. A couple more were too much buried in the trash and too quick for me, they disappeared before I could get on them. But, as they say, fortune favors the foolish, so my turn finally came. I bumped one and it made the mistake of circling to the left and running in the clear for a couple of seconds and I busted it fair, a fast crossing shot at more than 20 yards. That felt good.

rabbitJan12F.jpg

I shot my first rabbit at the age of 14 in 1947, using a full-choke 20 gauge, bolt-action Sears and Roebuck shotgun with the nasty habit of occasionally firing when the bolt was closed. I shot my last one at 1400 this afternoon, using a 20 gauge muzzle loading double-barrel flint shotgun. Good memories, both.

Spence

I hope you have a lot more hunts like that, thanks for the story :thumbsup:

That's the way to close a season Spence! As always, thanks for taking us along. :thumbsup:

That sandwich sure does look good. How is it that anything eaten in the field always tastes better than elsewhere? :hmm:

Best regards, Skychief.

Thanks for taking us along on your special hunt.
Lunch was my favorite part!
Now if you could get those rabbits to drink decafe every morning! :grin:
Looking forward to your hunting post next season...... :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Way ta go Spence.Good lookin sandwich,where's the nehi? :wink: Griz

ny griz said:
Good lookin sandwich,where's the nehi? :wink: Griz
Ah, that's the sad part of the story. No such thing as strawberry Nehi, these days. Closest thing is Big Red, and it "ain't a patch", as Rooster Cogburn would say. :haha:

Spence

Way to go Spence I felt like I was right there with you.Great hunt and I know you will sleep good tonight. :thumbsup: I own one of those old JC Higgins 20 guage bolt guns myself. :thumbsup:

Great story, Great pictures. It's like someone said before, Just like takeing a walk with a old friend.

Back