• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Meat for the freezer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have hunted a bunch this year, got busted by the wind, seen a few times, passed on a number of very small deer.

This one stepped out at 6:10 this morning, I could barely see my sights, she went about10 yards after the shot.

Haines rifle, .54, 85 gr of 2F, dry wool wad, .530 ball wrapped in .018 pocket drill patching, 30-yard shot.

View attachment 271964
That’s the size I prefer ! I only hunt for food and young ones like that are easier to carry out and taste like marshmello

I used my old man deer recovery vehicle.

deer recovery loading up.JPG

Yes, what I call my pre-carve from hell rifle. I bought this Haines TOW kit 3rd hand, beautiful wood, the pre-carve was so poorly done that it took me twice as long to build as if I had started from a plank. I hated it until I saw how well it shot, now it is my favorite, warts and all.

I enjoy your brush blind. That you took the time to create it out of what is found around your hunting spot is so much more about hunting than buying a pop up and plopping it down. The DIY aspect of your hunting gear is quite appealing.

The tractor, though, how many hours do you have in that build? LOL. Can't blame you one bit for bringing that into the equation after the trigger is pulled.

Back fusion, hip replacement gone bad, recient knee surgery, bad hernia mesh pain, Achillies heel problem, 76 years old, the tractor is my saving grace, just getting the deer in the bucket strained things. I prefer to work around my disabilities than to give in to them.

I have a 4 wheeler, a receiver hitch deer hoist, jet sled and a 2K boat winch that runs off a cordless drill that will pull one out of places the tractor and 4 wheeler can't go.

Here is how bad the pre-carve was, this is just one of at least a dozen major flaws the pre-carve had, I have posted this a bunch of times in the past. I worked on the rifle for a year and a half, I can build from a plank in 6 months even if my work ethic is poor with only about 10 hours a week of actual work.

The lock inlet was just a little off......

100_4992.JPG

It needed this kind of fix.

lock fix  7.JPG

done
finished lock molding.JPG

Last edited:
My, that turned out pretty. Excellent work, Eric. I've admired your ability to craft a bow and rifle stock for years. Your finished pieces are always a pleasure to behold.

Latest posts

Back