• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

wanting a new gun! Maybe Pedersoli Brown Bess Musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been wanting a north west trade gun but I see that Cabela's has the Pedersoli Brown Bess Musket on sale for 999.99. It would be cheaper than the trade gun and It is a .75 cal. Just wondering If it would be a better Fowler than a tarde gun in 62 cal. Im wanting a new gun and not sure which would be more useful.

The Bess is a good musket and it can do work with shot, but it's weight, balance and ability to swing is not as good as a trade gun which of course is lighter ,my advice is to pick the one that best suits your needs .BTW Ihave both :) :)

1601phill said:
The Bess is a good musket and it can do work with shot, but it's weight, balance and ability to swing is not as good as a trade gun which of course is lighter ,my advice is to pick the one that best suits your needs .BTW Ihave both :) :)

I agree. I have had one for many years. The 42 inch barrel and weight make it a bit less than ideal for wing shooting although friends of mine do use Besses for trap shooting at rendevous, etc. The trade gun might be a better choice but as stated, you should decide based on your needs. If you have the opportunity to actually hold both types of gun it will assist you in your decision.

I have both a Long Land Pattern musket and a fowler. As stated by many, the musket is just too heavy to swing on a target for fowling. If fowling is your desire, you will want the lighter weight and better handling qualities of a fowler.

Now the question becomes, "Do I want a NW trade gun or an American fowler and in what gauge?"

This thread really belongs in the smoothbore forum.

this is a matter of personality. :wink:

it is alway up to you, your needs, and what do you want to do with such a gun.
if you're looking for an "allrounder" that will give you years and years and years of trouble free service, plus good supplies of spareparts (if needed) - i would go a long with the Pedersoli Bess (love mine!!!) and a Pedersoli Bess did all the above mentioned for many many times for a lot of shooters all around the world. :thumbsup:

if you're looking for something that is lighter than a military musket, but would require more "selfmade" stuff (like belly boxes and so on) than go a long with the trade gun.

As others have pointed out the Bess is very long. But I used mine for many years before damaging my shoulders and love(ed) it. It shoots shot just fine.
In fact, I have only hunted quail once in my life. I was the only one on the hunt with a muzzle loader, the Bess. I was the only one to come home with birds.
It is what you get used to. Yer choice.

My Bess is the shorter version, with a barrel in the 32-36" range, though I don't recall the exact length. It actually works quite well for quick shooting with shot, though I agree that the full length Bess would do better on sitting game than moving.

I think I'd be sorely tempted to go with a NSW trade gun in 20ga. Semi custom gun for about the price of a factory made import.

I love my Bess. I've hunted turkeys with it. A couple of years ago, she went under the knife and I made a carbine out of her.

Let me see if I'm smart enough to post a pic.

It ain't that bad, gang. She's a lot handier and more fun to tote on a trek. Plus, there isn't another like her. :grin:

Yes there are many like it -- they're made in India and sold here as an historically incorrect (not that I'm a snob that way though I appreciate expertise) "Bess Carbine" or (Roger's) "Rangers" Bess. Heck, Pedersoli makes one! They are handy little guns, no doubt. I even arranged for an interested friend to get a little break on one from a sutler at School Of The Soldier pre-Obama.

Elliot carbine ,used everywhere but not in the US they are indeed correct :)

Their existance was quite prolific post 1780 all over the world,, made by lots of makers both civilian and Ordanence, used by Police, Military, Navy, private military and civilians. It wasn't until around 1810 on that they flowed in the back door of the US as currency for horses for the grand armies of the OldWorld .
The carbine that Pedersoli and others make is their generic representation of these guns , although incorrectly labled as Bess Carbines by the manufactures and in the US.

Mine isn't a copy of any particular make or model. I just eyeballed where I thought it looked good, whacked it off, recrowned the muzzle, and resoldered the front sight/bayonet lug. I think roughly 11".

Latest posts

Back