• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wanted: Pictures, please!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADK Bigfoot

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I am working on ordering a TVM Southern Rifle, and would love to see pictures of any completed guns that may be out there. I am left handed, but pictures of any TVM Southern would be very helpful.

I have four other TVMs, and love them all.

Thanks,

Bigfoot

Bigfoot,
I just got mine at Christmas, and love it. I am also a lefty and this is my third lh flinter, by far my favorite. All in 50 cal. not sure if I want to send pictures though, afraid you may hate me for my rifle...
Regards,
Ivery

That's mine in my avatar picture. Here it is original size.
IMG_0059.JPG

If you want correctly styled Appalachia rifles there are tons of books out there you would find very helpful. Or you could just go here:
https://www.bing.com/images/search?...ifles&qpvt=southern+mountain+rifles&FORM=IGRE

Don't assume any of the contemporary made guns are in any way historically correct. The antique guns are built so specifically that most of the time the maker can be ID'd even with out a signature on the barrel. The term "SMR" is too general of a term.

It's a 50 with a 42" straight barrel. Don't think it qualifies as a "true" SMR. It has a nose cap and entry thimble. Also the butte plate would be debatable on a basic SMR I suppose.
We have to realize that there is no certification board to send our SMR (Southern mountain rifle) for verification that it is a true SMR. If it is true to a pattern rifle architecture, then variations such as entry thimble, butt plate, straight, tapered or swamped barrel, then you have a rifle that conforms to pattern even though it is not an exact copy of an original SMR. Well, straight barrel may be pushing it, but still acceptable. No need to be apologetic.

Well, I have an original SMR, and it has a straight barrel. Will post some pics later, if interested. And of course, and obviously, as the originals were all handmade, they are not all the same. It's a very general classification.

Recoil is fine though I'm not in the least bit recoil sensitive so obviously it's a subjective thing. Don't know that I ever weighed it actually. Would guess 7-8 pound range. In the process of moving at the moment but if I can get to it when I get back home I'll weigh it and let you know. Assuming my wife hasn't got all the scales packed up yet.

Mine's a .36, and since there is no specific model for the SMR, they were made by many gunsmiths and in variations, I'm perfectly happy with mine. Is it "authentic"? I don't care a whit.What is authentic? It looks good to me, is accurate, and goes off every time I pull the trigger. I'll try to post pictures as soon as I can determine how to get the whole rifle in the photo.

Latest posts

Back