• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Right-hand, Left hand??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Resolve

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I’ve often seen rifles I’d like to have but they were left-handed, and I am right-handed, so I pass them buy. At a gun shop I once briefly shouldered a left-handed rifle on my right side and really, other than having to reach a little further with my right hand to pull it to full cock, I didn’t see much difference. Am I missing something? Are there any right-handed folks out there shooting left-handed rifles? I’m talking about percussion, not flintlock. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Have fun and be safe!

R

I shot a left handed Tingle right handed. I bought it because it was too cheap to pass up. I have left eye dominant kids and grandkids. Anyway if I liked the looks of a lefty and it was a bargain I’d buy and shoot it.

I was right eye dominant for 6 decades before retina disease rendered me effectively blind in my right eye. And so I fire my RH weapons LH now. Not always as well as I would like. It still feels unnatural and is a struggle.

Thank God for shooting flying as shotguns are pointed, not aimed.

Thanks folks, I'm convinced. Now I think I'll go to the "What muzzle loading stuff did you do today?" thread and tell everyone how I spend the afternoon kicking myself in the butt for all those great rifles I passed on simply because they were left-handed.

Be safe and have fun!
R

Be sure to cover your wrist with something if you shoot a left handed gun right handed, and vice versa. That cap spray HURTS! Won’t matter with a flintlock.

The big problem comes with those rifles built with a lot of "cast off". Hard to get your eye behind the sights when using it oppoaite hand of what it was bulit for, because the original "cast off becomes "cast on" and keeps your eye further from the sight line. Many non-custom bulit rifles don't have "cast off" and can be shot equally well from either side.

I don't have a problem shooting my right hand cap locks lefthanded but my rifles are mostly hawken styles. I haven't shot a flintlock or a Kentucky rifle in so long that I don't remember about them.

Yep, us lefties have had to adapt forever and a day to just about everything in a RH world. For percussion rifles shooting opposite side is no problem. Flinters are more shooter specific as to flash tolerance. Obviously stock fit is the most important part.

Be sure to cover your wrist with something if you shoot a left handed gun right handed, and vice versa. That cap spray HURTS! Won’t matter with a flintlock.
Use a Mag spark conversion to 209 primers No Blow back ever in the 10-12yrs of use and another 2 benefits is a hot fire in cold and NO/NONE erosions like a cap gun and never replaced one in all those yrs, .Still using what I bought on most all side locks ,aside from buying a Couple extra caps just in case (call me mitts ) especially in cold weather . Won't say how many precious #11 caps I've lost but note my answer is Mag spark .
Even my H+A under hammer (notorious for spark/shreds of hot no longer , Warren Outdoor supplies the correct thread for this too . And don't concern your self /Ned Roberts used the same ignition back then /Ed

The big problem comes with those rifles built with a lot of "cast off". Hard to get your eye behind the sights when using it oppoaite hand of what it was bulit for, because the original "cast off becomes "cast on" and keeps your eye further from the sight line. Many non-custom bulit rifles don't have "cast off" and can be shot equally well from either side.
Exactly.
And the Cheek rest..........

Fit is very important for a pleasant and productive shooting experience. Most production firearms are made for the "average sized, right-handed shooter." By and large, you can get by with this.

In my younger days, I would simply remove the cheek rest and re-finish the rifle. As I got older (and had better means) I made the shift over to left-hand stocks and custom rifles.

With shotguns (or fowlers), cast in the stock can be more of a problem with left-handed folks. If the gun has cast-off (for a right-handed shooter) it will lead to improper mounting, and you will miss more than you care to.

Almost all European shotguns have some element of cast-on built into the stock. Fortunately, some offer a left-hand option, which is well worth the extra cost.

Some folks believe in "bending" the stock for cast-on. It is done by a couple of different methods. I don't recommend it as the risk is too high of damaging the finish or worse, cracking or even breaking the stock, especially when dealing with a vintage or antique piece of wood. Even if done successfully, there is the chance of the wood simply shifting back over time.

If you are left-handed, ask questions about the gun, especially if it is a fowler, as you may be fine with the lock on the wrong side, but the cast in the stock may prevent you from shooting it well.

Back