• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wall Tent Set-Up Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowbender68

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently bought a 12x12 wall tent, and had some questions regarding the set-up and poles. I am not concerned with my set-up being PC, just want a good set-up for my deer camp.

So, that being said......I am trying to decide the best pole set-up to use...2x4's or heavy gauge sched. 40 PVC pipe. 3" for the ridge pole and uprights and 2" for the side supports. I have never heard of anyone using PVC, but the more I think about it, I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work. I could use shorter lengths and connect togather with T joints. It's not any heavier or bulkier than wood, and it won't rot or swell from wet conditions. Am I missing something? Can anyone see any reason why it may not be the best choice?

I've seen 2X4 ridge poles break in heavy winds. The winds were real heavy, but the ridge pole broke.

I doubt that PVC pipe is as strong as a 2X4 in the vertical load that a ridge pole would be subjected to. IMHO, I wouldn't trust it.

Greetings Bowbender68,

The only thing I can think of right now, not knowing how your set up is, is that PVC and the like will become brittle in the cold weather and more suseptable to spliting and fracturing. Just something to keep in mind.

If your not worried about PC like you say then maybe you can look into using a steel structure like I have. I have to admit it since I don't shop Wally world any longer, but I baught it as SAMS Club. Take care

Not PC at all unless your looking at 21st century but it is a good shelter.

october06031-1.jpg

Pretty roomy also as are most shelters like this. Painted metal tube is what the structure is made from and the cover itself is some kind of vinyl. I think if the vinyl ever wears out I will have another made for the structure made from canvas but have a sleeve installed for a wood burning stove!

october06032.jpg

rabbit03

I'd worry about the PVC fracturing under pressure in the cold. For a ridge pole, I recommend two 2 X 6 side by side with the top beveled to ease the strain on the canvas.

Many Klatch

12 ft. i think a 12 ft 2x4 with 3 uprights do ya jes fine ya could reenforce where the pins go thru, but it should be fine....pvc.. i wouldn't, i have a 14x 20 canvas wall tent from cabelas we use for huntin...used 2-(end to end) 2x4 x10 for ridge and 3- 2x4 x8'8" fer uprights.. used it all season no problems,,the side poles hold alot of the weight, yer only holdin the ceiling with the ridge.. hope this helps! RC :thumbsup:

I used 1" .016 wall square tubing for the frame on my wall tent with 11/4" tubing for the conectors it is a little heavy but very compact and vry strong has held up to 3' of wet snow that we had for a spring bow shoot I would include a pictur but some one will have to help me with posting pictures

gung

If you were to use two 1x4's screwed together with dry wall screws, in a staggered pattern, it would be much stronger than a single 2x4. I use this for my 12'x12' wedge, but made in three sections as a take down that has a center piece to connect it all with 6 carrige bolts. Two years ago it survived a micro burst wind that tore off my front awning and broke it's ridge pole, and dropped tents all around me.

I was able to figure out how to post pictures or at least I hope this works this is how I built my tent and I can put it up inabout 20 min
gung
tent4.jpg

rabbit03 and gungho
Dang those are Big tents..... :grin:

Heck they are bigger than my bedroom.....

I use a tarp.... but heck, if your going to do something..... do it Big, right, and with lots of style..... :grin:

My tent is only 12x14 with 5 foot wall I like it better than a tent or a camper as I find it stays warmer and dryer in cold wet weater it also is easyer to afford I didn't have to mogage my house to pay for it
Gung
elktrip05002.jpg

I used 11/4 .100 wall tubing for joiners I cut the pieces 3" long at the correct angle and welded together the straight pieces of 1" tubing just slide inside the tent actualy holds allthe pieces in place I can do chinups in the center beam and I am 250lb has stood up to 21/2 feet of wet snow wile I was inside playing cards and sipping rum by the fire nice and dry.Like I said I find it dryer than a trailer and easyer to afford.

Latest posts

Back