• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Walkers wild

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've shot it enpugh I believe my only concern is the base pin but then I have known quite a few over the years that also were concerned about their base pin in other than ASMs. Problems seem to arise with heavy loads which is why I suggest to anyone with open top frames to avoid heavy loads. There is always a bit of break in but once shot some should settle. Even known a few to have to pick up barrel assy. down range due to base pin failure. Those were pistols that had some time on them and a lot of rounds put through them. From some reading it seems the major issue with the ASM Walker is the base pin but improved later in production. Luckily mine is one of late production and hope with careful use of moderate loads it won't be a problem. One other ASM issue was too soft metal in wedge but that is way easier to fix then the base pin.

Forgive my ignorance, but what's the base pin? Are you talking about the cylinder locking pin, or the cylinder pin itself failing.

Here's a link to a parts diagram, perhaps you could help me understand the point of failure that you're referencing, by telling me the part number.

https://www.taylorsfirearms.com/walker.html

Forgive my ignorance, but what's the base pin? Are you talking about the cylinder locking pin, or the cylinder pin itself failing.

Here's a link to a parts diagram, perhaps you could help me understand the point of failure that you're referencing, by telling me the part number.

https://www.taylorsfirearms.com/walker.html
Cylinder pin. Have seen it called both. Gunpartscorp calls it base pin.

Cylinder pin. Have seen it called both. Gunpartscorp calls it base pin.

Okay, is it the threading on the cylinder pin (arbor) itself, or the threading in the frame, or the locking pin that fails?

Okay, is it the threading on the cylinder pin (arbor) itself, or the threading in the frame, or the locking pin that fails?
Main issue is the pin stretching at the wedge slot. That is what causes the wedge to stop providing proper fit. Like I said. Some have stretched to point of fail and barrel goes down range. Granted as some do, they probably had been shooting too heavy of loads for long time and just kept making wider wedges to maintain fit. I never knew particulars just end result.

Finally back out with my walker after crown work, bringing the cylinder bore up to .451 and eased the angle in cone along with better weather. Shoots a bit high but inline at 25 ft. Figure it's good considering eyesight and the fact it's set as a long range shooter. Might put a taller front sight on it or deepen the V in the hammer.

When you tire of blasting away with max powder loads and want better accuracy, try 23 grains 3F with a felt or paper wad between powder & ball.

Max loads are for boom and smoke. The right load is for accuracy.

My Walker has never had problems, maybe I should consider myself lucky. mine is a 1980,S mfg. one. everything tite no slop in action or cylinder lock up. i find around 45 to 50 grains works pretty good. my health problems don't allow me to shoot as often as I would like. I am going to post it for sale, along with walker flask, custom holster and bullet pouch made by a professional saddle maker,thick leather a real quality set. walker has only about 3 or 4 cylinders shot threw it. been in my gun safe since 1990. new member, I will post when Im allowed. Tom Berwinkle

Shooting 12" high at 25 yards is to be expected. These revolvers are set up to shoot on target at 100 yards right out of the box. But 12" left or right is a whole other thing. My old Uberti was very sensitive regarding the wedge depth. Finally got it right and used to shoot at old bowling pins at 100 yards. Not really much of a challenge for a Walker with 55 grains of FFFG behind the ball.

Back