• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Holster Ideas For Lyman Great Plains Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prairieofthedog

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Looking for a holster for my GP Lyman Pistol.Have not seen many for this gun.Leatherman makes one but leaves the pistol very exposed.Anybody know of any Flap Holsters that would fit this gun?Any other ideas appreciated.Thanks!

I was gonna mention the Leatherman holster because I really liked the one I had & it worked great for my Plains Pistol. but, I see you already know of it & don't like it. luck to ya & have a good'en, bubba.

It's not that I don't like it.It looks quality and is priced right.It just looks like the gun would get beat up in brush,or possibly flipped out.Did yours hold the pistol securely? Thanks.

Gus,yes I might do that.Would not have to be really heavy duty,just to keep the brush from beating on it.Thanks.

Prairieofthedog said:
Gus,yes I might do that.Would not have to be really heavy duty,just to keep the brush from beating on it.Thanks.

OK, but just remember the belt loop on the holster needs to be fairly heavy leather to keep it in place. You can always make the loop of heavier leather than the rest of the holster, though.

Gus

Prairieofthedog said:
It's not that I don't like it.It looks quality and is priced right.It just looks like the gun would get beat up in brush,or possibly flipped out.Did yours hold the pistol securely? Thanks.

the pistol stayed in it pretty securely, it covered the lock area good, and bein' sorta cross-draw it was even pretty decent sittin'. but the barrel end WAS exposed so, I guess if ya hunkered in the brush, mud or snow ya might wanta check yer muzzle from time to time.

I threw this one together a few years back at the last minute so I could use my pistol on a rabbit hunt. I usually put more time and planning into a holster. As basic as this one is, I'm happy with how its worked out. After wet molding it holds the pistol very securely. I can turn it upside down and even with moderate shaking it won't come out on its own. I made it to be worn crossdraw. I don't feel a flap is necessary. You can see a few marks on the holster from brush. My forearm or hand usually covers the pistols exposed portion when I'm going through heavy brush.

Fire20Kit20and20Lyman20Holster20019.jpg

Fire20Kit20and20Lyman20Holster20023.jpg

pab1,that looks good,protects the pistol very well. I think I can do that.Thanks for the idea,a picture always helps.

Prairieofthedog said:
pab1,that looks good,protects the pistol very well. I think I can do that.Thanks for the idea,a picture always helps.

Glad to help! Not sure how much leather work you've done but I always make a paper pattern first. I don't mind making mistakes on paper, its pricey with leather. If you're worried about retention its easy to add a hammer loop/thong. I don't mind having the hammer and trigger partially exposed because I never have it capped in the holster. Be sure to share a pic if you make one. :thumbsup:

Back