• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wads vs. Lube in cap-n-ball? Beginner!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stelliott80

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I took my new Pietta 1858 New Model Army to the range for the first time the other day (What a fun thing to shoot! I'm new at this and really enjoying it!). I first loaded powder-wad-ball in all six cylinders (with 20 gr FFFg). I am also putting lube on top of the ball. Is this necessary? Or does using a wad negate the need for lube outside each ball? I'm a bit unclear as yet. I figured better safe than sorry as I keep hearing about the danger of chain fires. Thanks a million for helping out a beginner!

If you want to try something that works email this friend of mine below. I make my own made four pans of them today. But to see how good they work email Junk Yard Dog. I can promise you that you won't be sorry. I have three differant Mfg. of 1858 Rems and swear by these lube pills.
You can email me also if you have any questions of any kind.([email protected])I'll just mention that these are not wooly wads, no fiber what so ever, nothing burns it just melt and lubricates. All natural ingrediants.

90# Junkyard Dog is selling lube pills. See the pic below. About 200 44's in a box and 300 36's in a box. Free labled box. Lubrication of cap&ball revolvers. Lube pill(grease cookie) lubrication placed over or under the ball in the chamber. Recommended method,"place under the ball & over the powder". Keeps your barrel and chambers from fouling all day long and guards against chain fire and cylinder drag when used with blackpowder. The pills work. contact: "90# Junk Yard Dog" ([email protected])

Click the Thumbnail Pic below

Back when I started shooting cap-n-ball revolvers, there was no question, no choice... I put the grease over the ball on top of each loaded chamber. I really don't remember any (manufactured) lubed wads being available at all--at least in my area. I know when they first came out, they were prohibitively expensive (at least on my meager wages), AND I also didn't want another store-bought item to have to rely on...

I have used both methods separately, AND together in some instances. Of course when I do use the lubed felt wads, I usually make my own, however; I do prefer the loose lube/grease option, and though it is a bit messy, I think it does a better job of lubing the projectiles. Shooting cap-n-ball guns is a messy activity anyway--so why should a little more mess be an issue?

The subject of chainfires and which option works better is often times an arguable subject. Based on LOTS of data (and personal experience)--good prevention uses properly fitting pure lead balls and the correct size of percussion caps. After that though, it's still a matter of personsl preference between using wads and loose lube.

I'm going to let some others explain the benefits and detriments of the two options, as there are some factors that may make one, or the other, a more suitable choice in your area or climate.

Regards, and shoot safely,
WV_Hillbilly

PS Oh and BTW... Welcome aboard!!!

If you use wads, you don't need grease over the ball. Grease makes such a mess and wads seem to keep the barrel cleaner anyway. That's just my experience though, so find what works best for you.

Like WV Hillbilly, when I started cap & ball, grease over the balls was the norm in my area. Over the years, wads have become commonly available (or make your own) but a number of us continue to use grease. Grease may be of a mess but my .36 Navy still looks & shoots like new. I just wish that I could hold & sight it like I could when it was new!

PS - My wife is a horsewoman & I have used horse paste wormer tubes for years to hold & apply the grease. The tubes are like large plastic syringes.
Your local large animal (not dog & cat) vet will likely give you a bunch of empty ones that you can wash up & use.

I don't use wads or lube in my revolvers, just load 20g bp add enough corn meal to bring the ball up flush with the cylinder and I haven't had any problems with chain fires or fowling.

After shooting two or three cylinder fulls
got to stop & clean the cylinder pin anyway and it's no big deal to run a wet patch down the barrel at the same time.

I'd rather not clean um all day by usin' the lube pills. I don't understand why people don't try makin' um themselves...heck I have posted the recipes enough. And if you don't like makin' lube pills buy small box from my friend that's sellin' um. Well I guess people don't always believe what they see till they try it... I don't like messes when shootin' nor do I like takin' my Revs apart to clean them while shootin'.
Anyway, guess I'll just keep sharin' for those who understand the concept of lubrication carried in waxes in the form of a lube pill.

Smokin Gun, I just made some lube pills, like you said. I gotta say, piece of cake to make, I like the way they work, I use em', I like em', nuff said!

Good deal, I like success stories. Clean up is pretty easy too don't ya think? I use scaldin' hot soapy water and same for rinse water. A nylon bottlebrush a couple patches and yur done.

Stelliott80: If you want to use the gun for hunting, a maximum podwer charge is needed. The wad takes up some chamber space so I would use powder, ball, and grease the end of the chamber. You are in AK so this should be okay. If it is a hot day the grease could run and wreak a holster, etc- depending on the kind of grease. I think Robert E. Lee's Colt Navy had the ends filled with wax- but he probably never shot the gun.
On hot days a wad is better. This wad needs to be prelubed to create a good seal. Putting grease over the chambers is then usually not done, the procedure is powder, lubed wad, ball. This is a good combo if you are carrying the gun in a holser in hot weather or range shooting.
I do both, plus I make up combustible cartridges from time to time. All work equally well.

I buy 1/8 hard felt from duro felt. Cut wads and lube them. Use Black Mag powder corn meal and lubed felt wad. Shoot all day with out cleaning and no big mess with grease flying all over. At the end of the day my bore is shinney and the cylinder spins free. Never had a chain fire.

Here's a method for the lube pills.

Dang I'm Broke Lube Pills

What I did was start out with:
Parafin comes in a brick divided to to 4 like a stick a butter, I used a stick.
Then 1/4 of a Toilet Seal Ring(Bolwax)substitute with beeswax or use just the parafin.
Then 8-10 Tablespoon of Olive Oil
The Olive oil is the Lube the Waxes just carry it and keep the pill as you want it.
And that made alot about 600 pills...about 1/8" thick for the most part, ...a good level stiff heated pizza/flat walled baking pan is the best thing to pour your mix into...so mix cools evenly .

And worked good for me...you need to try your best guess and add/subract as you like them for your use.

By Smokin_Gun

How does that BlakMag powder compare with regular BP - velocity, laod grain amount, ease of ignition - etc? :hmm:

I think you have to try for yourself and weigh the costs of the wads or the pain of grease everywhere.

I have used both and it seems like it depends on my mood. If I feel lazy then the wads are in. If not I use grease.

Sounds like if you have time to make them the grease pills might also be nice.

Back