• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

wadding for golfballs?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JADaube2

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Is wadding even necessary for golf ball cannons? What kind of wadding does everyone here use?

Wadding is not needed. In fact, I believe that it is not even desirable (possibly dangerous?) as it would interfere with the windage (the few thousandths extra width of the bore that permits the ball to be easily seated, even in a fouled bore) that is built into the mortar.
I have two GB mortars and never use wadding.
Pete

Just another .02. Patching is not needed either. GB mortars are designed to work with a bare ball in a slightly oversized bore. Since a mortar is designed to fire its projectile in a high arc, the kind of precision that a patched ball will give in a rifle or a smoothbore fowler is not necessary.
Pete

I do it to just make a nice snug fit. I also retrieve the balls and they stay white because of the patch. I do it on the Baseball,and Softball mortars as well for the same reasons.
I do not do it for any other reason.

Craig

Patching is totally unecessary in a mortar (or cannons larger than 1 inch bore) and actually indesireable as it tends to raise pressure. Try it without the patch. Two differences. Less noise and greater safety.

While its true that patching and wadding are hardly necessary in a mortar assuming there is not excessive windage, it is possible to depress the bore on a cannon for direct fire so that the ball begins to roll down the bore and becomes a barrel obstruction rather than a projectile. This is as you all know a really bad idea so patching or light wadding is desirable in a cannon that is capable of having its muzzle depressed.

Capn D

I bet patches cut from golf shirts would be about right. I hear they're most accurate if you are careful to get the part with the little alligator on it. :wink:

Back