• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Virgin flintlock owner first impressions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kentop- I really enjoyed your post. I've never shot a flintlock, and it was very informative. I'm sure I'll get into it someday, and it will be a learning curve. Thanks!

congrats on our new flintlock ... you are now officially turned to the dark side ...

you are at a good place (both literally and figuratively) in your quest for manly man one- ness and ballistic hirvanah ... soon, you will be getting all excited about sharp bits of rock, and your family an friends willl begin to question your sanity - this is normal, they have not yet seen the truth and the light, but there is hope that one day they, too, will come to know the fun part of the week.

if (or more likely, when) you have questions about all things flint, make a post and you will get (forgive the pun) unflinching answers right here on this forum.

enjoy the new pistol!
make good smoke!

One way to get the correct pressure on the flint so it won't move around, is to drill a small hole in the top of the screw right under the screw driver slot. I use a cut off 1/8" Allen wrench as a Tommy Bar to really crank the flint in tightly. I find I can get almost another full turn with a Tommy Bar after I have gone as far as I can with a screw driver.

Cut the Allen wrench off at the bend with a Dremel tool. Epoxy the bar into a piece of antler or wood or bone for a handle.

Have fun, welcome to the Dark Side.

Many Klatch

Thanks, Many! Very interesting advise. I will explore.

As promised here is a video of me shooting the pistol on youtube. I filmed it this morning in Reddington Pass, east of Tucson, Arizona. Feel free to ridicule the old geezer's mistakes and misinformation. As a companion "range report" I have to say that the pistol is very accurate. Shooting a 3 lb. handgun one-handed and hitting anything 25 feet away is good in my book. I shot everything within a two inch circle. My target had a one inch center that I did not hit. Practice makes perfect. Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGxvnofs2AI

Last edited by a moderator:
MSW said:
soon, you will be getting all excited about sharp bits of rock, and your family an friends willl begin to question your sanity - this is normal, they have not yet seen the truth and the light, but there is hope that one day they, too, will come to know the fun part of the week.

I was over at my brother in law's house the day after Christmas. He has a few of rock samples littering his entertainment center. One of them is a softball sized piece of flint. I actually tried to finagle it from him to see if I could chip flints off of it. He looked at me like I was crazy. So, your posting is prescient. I got the bug bad.

Back