• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Vinegaroon Dye

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

50cal.cliff

58 Cal.
Reaction score
OK, so I checked my vinegaroon yesterday and it has turned to rusty liquid. Even after stirring it is still a rusty color rather than black.

I am assuming that means it needs to be fed some more iron?

One other question when I get it back to black again is there anything I need to do with it, or just use as is on the leather???

Also does anything need to be done to the leather once it turns black??? IE neutralize or seal. I know chromium treated leather will cause rust on any metal it contacts!
Is this a concern, (rusting of metal the leather contacts due to the vinegar) when using Vinegroon to dye leather???

The batch I made remained a rusty red color and the only time I saw a black color was when I applied it to vegetable-tan leather. The residual vinegar will evaporate once applied to leather - I didn't bother to neutralize.

The solution could be strained through a paint strainer, but like Black Hand, I don't bother. After the piece has dried, I will rub it down and brush it with a soft brush/toothbrush, ect, if there is a lot of rust dust left in creases and such. When I am completely satisfied, I oil it. Neatsfoot or mineral oil. Vinegaroon only works on vege-tan, and bark tan. It will not work on chrome tanned leather. It can also be used to make new lumber appear weathered.

I always use a bath of baking soda and water to wash off any excess rust, etc and that will neutralize the acidic affects of the vinegar.

But to answer the first question, the solution should not be black. I've always strained mine through a couple of coffee filters to get some of that rusty junk out of it.

Thanks for the info guys! This was black every time I checked when I first made it but, there was also a little residue in the bottom that had not fully dissolved at that time!

So sounds like it is ready to go! Thanks again!!

Cliff, try it on a piece of scrap. If it's a good solution, it will blacken in under a minute. If it's a really good batch, it is almost instant.

That's what I've been looking for. I knew there was someway to make new wood look weathered . Thanks again Wick :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back