• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Very interestin 2" bore muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IIRC, Steve Zihn built that gun. He's also built a couple or so 4-bores, and a bunch of 8's.

And it is a 2-bore, not a 2" bore.

Top load for medium-bore PRB rifles used to be considered as powder weight = ball weight. I do not think I would want to go over 1000 gr of 1F in that thing, much less 3500 gr. 8) And by that I mean stand next to someone shooting it. My shoulder long ago advised me that the upper limit for me is 10ga breechloading shotguns, or something less than .375H&H cartridge guns

I shoot an 8-bore trap gun fairly frequently, and 1F produces a markedly softer shooting load than 2f, even bumping the powder charge to get your velocity close to the same. I don't shoot the 2-oz load in it very often.

A good 8-bore PRB will make any land animal on Earth DRT with a good hit, although a 6-bore might be a little added insurance.

Ah yes, I've seen pictures of that rifle before. The large bore rifles always amaze me. Shooting a half-pound of lead at a time seems crazy to me, but it would make a good Dinosaur Gun.

Well....from experience you can also shoot a boar with a M1A1 main battle tank, but I wasn’t holding it :surrender:

Yup, that's one of mine.
It's not a 2" (inch) bore, it's "2 bore". That's about 1 and 21/64" across the bore.

Steve Zihn said:
Yup, that's one of mine.
It's not a 2" (inch) bore, it's "2 bore". That's about 1 and 21/64" across the bore.

Is a canon permit required to shoot that thing? Can one shoot it if he is wearing dentures?

Actually, I almost bought one of your 4 bores once because I wanted to shoot in a "postal match".

Sure you can wear dentures ------------if you just use Acra-Glas instead of Poly-Grip.

The 2 bore is just too big for me to shoot. My customer does fire it, but he's using what amount to very light loads (Only 300 grains of powder)

If we take an average of powder charge to ball weight going from a 62 cal to a 66, to a 72, to an 8 bore to a 4 bore and so on, a full charge in a 2 bore would certainly land you in a hospital and it might land you in the morgue.

Here is a pic I took of a man shooting a 4 bore (1/2 the ball weight of a 2 bore) He's firing 375 grains of powder. A Service load in this gun is 450, so you could call this a "light load".

He's 5' 9" tall and weighs 170 pounds, so you get the gereral idea.

4boreinaction.jpg

Beautiful rifle Steve!

People shooting rifles like that is the reason T- Rex is extinct today!
:rotf:

SC45-70

Steve Zihn said:
Yeah,--- poor little T-Rex didn't stand a chance........

This is speculation bordering on the ridiculous, but after looking at some skeletons of a T-Rex recently at a museum, I don't see why a 2-bore wouldn't ruin his day just as fast as my .58 on a whitetail.

"Yup, that T-rex was quartering away at 50 yards. Put the ball about 2 feet back from that little hand he's got. Had a complete pass-through with my 2-bore. Good blood trail for 150 yards where I found him piled up underneath that big oak over there."

Dang Trench, you may be missing your calling.
It looks like you should be writing for Field and Stream.

:grin:

Thanks for the tip Trench, I'll have to remember that next time I hunt in Jurassic Park!
:rotf:
SC45-70

A 2" bore would be a "A" ga. See im not crazy wanting a 4 gauge. 2 bore guys are crazy haha

Back