• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Had not noticed this before....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure what this type of breech is called but seems to be on my TC Hawken. Easy to clean by removing the clean out screw occasionally.
v52pjLjxSJGuxm4Pv9zYKQ.jpg

I beg to disagree- while not HC the most hassle free method is hose water.
I used to boil water but got flash rust instantly. Went to warm soapy water, had to rinse with plain cold water anyway…
My routine has evolved (or Devolved) into just plain water: no heat, no soap.
No other way works better. But no one will believe it so they continue with their magic potions and have at it....

THEY ARE NO HARDER TO CLEAN THEN ANY OTHER BREECH ! IF YOU REMOVE YOUR BARREL PUT THE BREECH IN A BUCKET AND PUMP FOR A MINUTE OR TWO WITH A THICH PATCH ON YOUR JAG, I FLUSH MINE UNTIL THE BARREL GETS UNCOMFORTABLE TO HOLD WITH HOT WATER NO SOAP OR CLEANING PRODUCTS REQUIRED ( NON OF THE ERA/PERIOD CORRECT EVER HAD SOAP IN THEIR POSSIBLES POUCH TO CLEAN WITH) IT TAKES LONGER TOBOIL THE WATER THEN IT DOES TO TAKE THE BARREL OFF AND FLUSH IT AND YES I REMOVE MY PINNED BARRELS EVERY TIME AND IN 20 YEARS THEY ARE STILL AS TIGHT AS THE DAY THEY WE'RE MADE ! THE CLAMP THAT TRACK SELLS WORKS BUT AGAIN IT WAS NEVER FOUND IN A LONG HUNTER OR TRAPPER'S KIT. I HAVEN'T TRIED THE MAGNETIC ONE, IF IT WORKS WOULD MAKE FITTING TO THE GUN ALOT EASIER. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO REMOVE THE BARREL JUST PLUG THE NIPPLE/VENT FILL WITH BOILING WATER AND LET SIT FOR A MINUTE OR SO REMOVE THE PLUG AND PUSH IT OUT THROUGH THE NIPPLE/VENT WITH THE GUN TILTED SO THE WATER DOESN'T RUN DOWN THE STOCK 5-6 PATCHES AND IT WILL BE DRY RUN A LUBED PATCH DOWN AND OUT TURN IT OVER AND REPETE YOUR GUN IS NOW CLEAN. IT HAS TAKEN ME LONGER TO TYPE THIS THEN IT TAKES TO DO IT EVEN AFTER SHOOTING ALL DAY AT A TERRITORIAL.
Yep. Been doing this ever since I first read about it in the '80's... z Quoted in Florida Wildlife magazine from Civil War-era Union training manual re: maintaining one's weapon in the field.

Last edited:
A lot depends on how clean you want your rifle. I guarantee that if you clean with water only, or even water with some detergent, and then run a tight fitting patch down into that small diameter area, it will come out with some black stuff on the patch. It is highly unlikely that little bit of black stuff will ever cause a problem, but it bothers me to have it there.

Not sure what this type of breech is called but seems to be on my TC Hawken. Easy to clean by removing the clean out screw occasionally. View attachment 220268
This is another variant of a chambered breech. The one pictured is the T/C chambered breech. The so called clean out screw is a leftover following the drilling of the access to the drilling to the powder chamber. That "clean out" screw caused so many warranty repairs that they changed the design to remove that screw.

This is another variant of a chambered breech. The one pictured is the T/C chambered breech. The so called clean out screw is a leftover following the drilling of the access to the drilling to the powder chamber. That "clean out" screw caused so many warranty repairs that they changed the design to remove that screw.
Could you explain ? I'm curious how removing and reinstalling a screw could be an issue.

Last edited:
Back