• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Venison Stew.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twice boom

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I tried my hand at it the other day and I almost threw pot and stew out the window. It had an unbelievable odor even after changing the water twice.
What the secret to good tasting Venison stew..
Thanks.
Twice.

....starting with good venison?

Why are you boiling the venison twice? Why are you boiling it at all? What is your recipe?

Black Hand said:
....starting with good venison?

Why are you boiling the venison twice? Why are you boiling it at all? What is your recipe?

The venison was processed by a pro, that does hundreds yearly.

I boiled the meat to tenderize it like I do my beef stew. Once the meat is tenderized I ad the Vegetables. Potatoes ,carrots ,onion, Garlic ,celery and frozen peas for little sweetness. Bay leaf , salt /pepper.

What am I doing wrong in your opinion.
Thanks.

Twice.

Wow, good timing. I just made some up. I kinda made it up with stuff on hand (the wife was sick today). I started with a venison roast, cut to size, and browned in Dutch Oven with a little oil. Cut 2 onions and added to meat. Poured in 1 can of beef broth and a can of whole kernel corn. While this was heating, I cut up 3 med. potatoes and added to D.O. Salt and pepper to taste. I considered it done when the potatoes were done. At the end, I mixed up some cornstarch to thicken. Added no water. Don't drain anything, it adds flavor.

It wasn't bad. I was looking for an easy recipe that I could make with minimal ingredients (read easy!) and without buying special spices, etc. while camping.

Many here can do much better, but the kids were fed! :v

Thanks Flint. The stew meat I'm using is left over scraps that most make their venison burgers from.
I have no issues with roasts or such. Matter of f act the wife and I like the roast better than beef roast .I think it may have something to do with the Lamb taste with neck roasts.

I had people tell me to soak the stew meat in milk for couple of hours .Others tell me soak it in salt water, others say soak it in vinegar.
With all the meat getters we have on the forum I though I’d better ask for some sage advise..
Thanks for posting.
Twice.

I've heard the milk soak method to remove the gaminess. I tenderize with a flat mallet or a jaquard, multiple tiny razor blades in a push handle. I coat my venison in a bag of flour, salt, pepper, parsley, sage, thyme, tarragon, and marjoram. I then saute it in a mix of butter and olive oil and add some garlic and chopped onions. Put this in a pot with beef stock, red wine, potatoes, corn, beans, celery, and carrots. I think the key is after sauteing the meat, de-glaze the pan and add that to the stew also. Bring it to a boil and turn it down to simmer. The whole onion, celery, carrot mix is a classic cooking veg mix, all the other veggies are what's around. I've done turnips in the stew also and there's never any leftovers. I get some extra venison from a couple of my hunting buddies as long as I do the butchering and cooking. We've already had the smoker loaded making venison jerky while we were mixing and stuffing my version of an Italian sweet sausage in natural casings that we later also smoked with a mix of apple wood and hickory. I came up with the spice mix I add to flour after quite a bit of experimentation and mix the spices ground in equal parts then add salt and pepper to taste. I keep a quart mason jar of the stuff in the cabinet along with a Cajun mix I make that'll bring tears to your eyes but not to any other part of your anatomy. If you ever want any ideas for spice mixes or sauces, just let me know. I'm also a classically trained chef.

I just placed your post in my favorites. I love to exchange few recipes with you. I do Greek .

Thanks ,I’ll give your suggestions a whirl soon.
Twice.

I grow a huge garden each year, 100 ft by 100 ft and do all my own canning too. I have a couple pickling crocks going with sauerkraut in them. Each one is one of those newer German fermenting jobs and hold three gallons each. This coming season I'm going to try making parched and dried corn out of some of my sweet corn. I had over 500 ears this past year.

Twice, Did the venison have a bad odor raw? Could it have been spoiled meat?

In my opinion, Soaking the stew meat in salt water and / or milk will take the gamey taste out.

Here are a two of my recipes. (My 2 cent)

Venison Stew
1 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 pounds venison stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
3 tablespoons cooking oil, divided
¼ cup red wine
3 or 4 cup water
3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
4 medium carrots, sliced
1 large green pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
salt and pepper to your taste
2 tablespoons / cube beef bouillon
1 can (14 ounces) tomatoes, cut up ( If you like thick brown grave don’t add the tomatoes. Add 2 table spoon of flower)
1 or 2 twigs of fresh Rosemary (optional)

In a Dutch oven, brown meat in 2 tablespoons oil. add red wine to deglaze bottom of pot, Add water, Stir in bouillon and tomatoes or [flower for thick gravy]. potatoes, carrots, green pepper, garlic, onion, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer on low heat for 2 hours. The longer you simmer the stew the more tender the meat becomes. (Add more water if needed)

Venison Chile
1 Onion- (chopped)
1 bell pepper- (chopped)
4 clove of garlic- (chopped)
1lb-cubed venison or Lamb or stew beef [using half lamb and half beef works well, but venision is best.]
½ lb ground beef
Teaspoon rosemary
1 Tablespoon Adobo [Spanish all purpose seasoning]
4 or 5 heaping Tablespoon chili powder
2 Tablespoon paprika
1 Tablespoon cumin
1 bottle of beer 2 bottles if you like it watery
2 can “rotel’ tomato with chilies
4 cans of “Bush” chili beans.
Salt & pepper to taste
4 Tablespoon of oil

In Dutch oven add 3 Tablespoon of oil. Brown meat with rosemary. Take meat out of Dutch oven, add 1 Tablespoon of oil sauté Onion, bell pepper, garlic. When the onion is clear add bottle of beer. Let boil. Now add meat and all spices, stir then add rotel tomato with chilies & chili beans. Cover and let simmer on low heat or crock-pot for about 3 or 4 hours. “It’s better the next day.” If you like it hot, you can sauté jalapeno peppers with the Onion, bell pepper, and garlic.

What ever you decide I hope your stew comes out good. :v

I don’t know if it was spoiled or not. I like to rule that out being the meat was processed at a commercial meat locker . It could have been mishandled . It did have a foul odder I was not expecting.

This was a young buck 200 lbs , fat and plump . So I was expecting good eating.
Thanks for you recipe it sounds delicious ..
Twice.

Twice boom,
It's stew! Cooked long and slow...I
use a crockpot.Trim as much fat as you can from the venison then cube it up like you would beef.
Forget all that soaking,boiling,marinating :bull: Use the same items you would use in a beef stew.
Including beef stock..The secret is long and
slow IMHO

I too grow one but only 40x40' . I tried growing sweet corn and did pretty good at that. But the deer liked corn too. :cursing: Eating the corn was not such a bad thing they too have to eat. What drove me crazy was my two German shothairs and my chihuahua barking their heads off . :haha:
Twice.

That's another thing I thought of that I might have left a bit too much fat on the meat.
You guys have my mouth watering so early in the morning. :rotf: I didn't know we had so many fine cooks on the board.
Bravo!
Twice

Back