• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Value of 1851 sheriffs model

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the opportunity to buy an 1851 Navy .44 with the brass. In a hard case with everything needed to shoot it. Seller hasn't giving a price, kinda asked what I would pay(family friend). Powder, flask, wads, ball, caps, capper tool, etc. In great shape, also don't know what to offer.

You have to be careful with friends and family. I would not make an offer. It is his property, therefore have him provide a price. You can negotiate from there if desired.

A long time friend of mine one time had an old 5-screw S & W he wanted to sell. Asked what I would give him for it. I did a www search and forwarded the info for him. It was apparently far less that what he was expecting. The guy was insulted, and wouldn't talk to me for at least a year (which showed me what kind of friend he was).

From the information above you should be able to determine what that gun is worth. Have him provide the price. Go from there...

My first BP revolver was a used brass framed 1860 Hawes import. It was well used and would not index 100 % of the time but I had fun shooting it. That was my ONLY brass frame revolver. Now I only buy steel frame revolvers. ;) :thumb::ThankYou:

I have the opportunity to buy an 1851 Navy .44 with the brass. In a hard case with everything needed to shoot it. Seller hasn't giving a price, kinda asked what I would pay(family friend). Powder, flask, wads, ball, caps, capper tool, etc. In great shape, also don't know what to offer.
View attachment 111912
for a close friend or family member I would offer $250 and maybe let them beat me out of $275 if they haggle, with keeping in mind they probably really need the cash to sell a gun

Pietta lists the same gun at $225 new.

for a close friend or family member I would offer $250 and maybe let them beat me out of $275 if they haggle, with keeping in mind they probably really need the cash to sell a gun

Pietta lists the same gun at $225 new.
They don't need the money, just changing his collection style. Also offered a tower percussion pistol, zulu shotgun, percussion rifle(can't remember the brand but a replica of an old style(I know I sound stupid saying that, didn't pay it much attention since it is a percussion rifle).

I would never pay list for a used gun. If going to pay list, it is going to be new.

What y’all say the value is of this pistol? I’ve searched the net and can’t find one identical to it. It’s a Pietta that came from Cabelas at some point. At least I think it did. It’s a 44 cal. I’ve never had a BP pistol and found this one, but I have no idea what’s a fair price.
View attachment 111787
Thats a nice looking pistol Styk, hope it works out for you. They are a hoot to shoot!
Robby

You're quite welcome (ruffled feathers and all) - did you happen to see the date code on that pistol?
Yeah, they got a little ruffled.🙂 Broke my own rule about letting jerk responses on an Internet forum bother me. The link you provided was helpful though.

Yeah, they got a little ruffled.🙂 Broke my own rule about letting jerk responses on an Internet forum bother me. The link you provided was helpful though.
Didn't mean to be insulting at all, keyboard language I guess. If you aren't familiar with these and want to know when they were made, you will find, among the other stampings, a small square box with two letters in it - that's the date code.

You have to be careful with friends and family. I would not make an offer. It is his property, therefore have him provide a price. You can negotiate from there if desired.

A long time friend of mine one time had an old 5-screw S & W he wanted to sell. Asked what I would give him for it. I did a www search and forwarded the info for him. It was apparently far less that what he was expecting. The guy was insulted, and wouldn't talk to me for at least a year (which showed me what kind of friend he was).

From the information above you should be able to determine what that gun is worth. Have him provide the price. Go from there...
Concur I have always found so called friends want things for next to nothing thinking they are doing you a favor 😂

I would never pay list for a used gun. If going to pay list, it is going to be new.
True...IF you can find a new gun at list price. In these strange times, you may or may not be able to find that new gun for years. It all boils down to...how bad do you want it, and how long are you willing to wait?

What y’all say the value is of this pistol? I’ve searched the net and can’t find one identical to it. It’s a Pietta that came from Cabelas at some point. At least I think it did. It’s a 44 cal. I’ve never had a BP pistol and found this one, but I have no idea what’s a fair price.
View attachment 111787
That’s a nice looking pistol much nicer than the run of the mill ones I just saw on GunBroker. Has it been cleaned up de-burred and all no indexing issues. No bolt drag marks. I especially like the cylinder

Back