• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Found my Remington Sheriff

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got one used. What is the #11 nipple issue? Iv been trying to find #10 for it but can't
When my brother and I both recently acquired pietta 1858 Remingtons ( mine is the sheriff), we went to the range and had issues with the cci #11 caps falling off the nipples of unfired cylinders when shooting, even when pinched. Others on the forums have mentioned this also. I started “crimping” one side of the caps with needle nose pliers, which flattens one side making them fit tighter which helped. You can do two at a time , doesn’t take long to do a whole tin. Anyway, I finally found some #10 Remingtons at a gun show, which my brother tried (I had already switched to slikshot) and he had no more issues. The stock pietta nipples on our guns do not play well with #11 cci caps. Many on the forum have had this problem.

Just got one used. What is the #11 nipple issue? Iv been trying to find #10 for it but can't
Revolver nipples have been a bit confusing to all of us. Most often, the nipples on a Pietta revolver are sized for #10 caps. but then they may also be sized for the European RWS 1075 caps which are sized just between CCI #10 and CCI#11 caps. Bear, I know this isn't much help, but most of us have been replacing the #10(?) sized nipples with standardized #11 nipples. These are available from Track of the Wolf and other US suppliers. You will be better served by caps that fit the nipples rather than purchasing #11 (CCI) caps and pinching them to fit on the smaller nipple cones. The pinched caps may fragment and fall into the action and jam up the action. There is some concern that pinched #11 caps may allow flame from a fired chamber to enter an adjacent chamber and cause a that chamber to fire (chain firing). The SliXshot nipples are also very good and fit the #11 caps quite well. Here is a link to the SliXsprings web site for more information. By the way, the 6mmx .75 thread pitch will fit more revolvers than is listed on the SliXsprings web site.
https://www.slixprings.com/proddetail.php?prod=SliXshot-Black-Powder-Nipples
Since you are probably limited to the use of the substitute black powders, get the Pyrodex P grade of powder or the Tripple 7 powder in 3F granulation. Pellets are just too hard to ignite and often perform poorly. I will recommend getting a pistol sized volume measure for loading as the volume measurements are used for loading black powder firearms, but you can only fill the chamber so full. Substitute black powders are less dense than real black powder, so the weight of Pyrodex P poured from a 25 grains volume measure will weigh about 21 grains on a powder scale.

Last edited:
Forgot to add the picture below. I had this huge chunk of a blown #10 cap inside the action that made it a tad sluggish. While at the range unaware of this being inside, thought it was caused by fowling after about 6 cylinders fired.
Like the old Timex commercial said, it took a licking but it kept on ticking. I drilled the hammer and added an action cover to keep junk like this from going in there.
FFEC13C8-C165-44DF-A79B-D2BF2D22A8F0.png

I have stock nipples on all my 1858 cylinders. 2 pistols and two extra cylinders. they seem to work just fine. I will replace them with something better when and if they wear out. I do pinch my caps.

Latest posts

Back