• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

V-notch or square

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flintlock

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Which sight is more traditional for early longrifles, v notch or square, and which is easier to use with ageing eyes. What do you guys prefer for hunting.

Hunting and offhand a square notch works just fine.
That said, I have a rifle set up for Chunk and Table shooting exclusively. On that one, I filled in the square notch on it's rear sight with JB Weld. After it had cured I used a very small "V" shaped jewelers file to cut a tiny v-notch. It's juuussssttt big enough to hold the dot on the post-and-dot reticle I use for front sight. It's much more difficult to see than the sights on my offhand rifles, much slower to use, and more difficult to get everything lined up just right. In those competitions I mentioned however,I have time and I'm using a rest so I have help holding it steady while I'm trying to get the best sight picture on the spotter target.

Square works best for older eyes. V is traditional in fact NMLA rules state (if I am correct.):"...tapering narrower at the bottom than at the top."

The very low V-notch is traditional, but the square profile had not yet been invented back then. How the old timers shot well with the sights they had is a mystery to modern shooters.

The square profile with plenty of light on each side works best for me.

Pete G said:
The very low V-notch is traditional, but the square profile had not yet been invented back then. How the old timers shot well with the sights they had is a mystery to modern shooters.

The square profile with plenty of light on each side works best for me.

Maybe I'm different but I find the sights on the originals I have handled to be very good. Maybe it's because of growing up Southern and taking fine beads with shotgun.(shooting them like rifles)

I find the insanely low and tiny front sight to be pretty good. Once you see the bead in the shallow V it's on.

With that said I can see how mirage from barrel heat can distort the picture after multiple shots but these rifles were not built for "rapid fire" .

What I find the best for ME is a long square notch with a small Vee at the top. If acceptable at the club I LIKE a apture rear sight the BEST :thumbsup: .

Most of mine are actually "U" shaped. But that's basically a square since the sides and top are square.

Well I guess Im the odd man out.....I prefer the vee notch I also shoot with the top of the front sight filed back at a 45 degree angle. :idunno: I grew up shootin' squirrels with a single shot Remington .22. It had a small vee notch and a tiny bead up front. We hunted over treeing dogs.The squirrels would usually ball up in the top of the tree or flatten out on a limb.My Dad always wanted me to shoot first. He would say shoot em in the eye Boy you don't want to tear up any meat. I wish I still had the eye sight and steady nerves of that kid :shake: Dad carried a Savage 22/410 over & under so when I missed and Mr. Bushy Tail made a run for it that old 410 would bark. I still have the old Savage. :wink: Sorry for getting long winded... Did I say I preferred a Vee notch. :doh: PS Still have the Remington 22 as well :thumbsup:

I appear to be in the minority camp, preferring a rather wide V notch. The back end of my front sight is filed to approximately a 45° angle.

I built a flintlock rifle several years ago and installed a rear site that had no notch at all. Just a flat, straight across horizontal plane between two vertical "ears".

I had intentions to file a notch during the sighting in processes but found that lining up the center of the flat plane with the front silver sight, I had a tack driver! Go figure!

The old timers shot the same rifle a lot more than most of us will ever attempt. It reminds me of a old .22 my great grand father used. It was his only rifle and when I looked at it 30+ years back after he had died I realized that the rifling was worn down only a faint trace was left. How many .22s would that take?

Kept playing and playing and decided on the V notch, thanks for the imput guy's. Next, I'll be working on inventing the Braille sight, for those who can't see open sights but can feel where they should be.

walks with gun said:
Next, I'll be working on inventing the Braille sight, for those who can't see open sights but can feel where they should be.
"In the fall of 1771, Casper Mansker set out again for the western wilderness, this time in the company of Isaac Bledsoe, Joseph Drake, John Montgomery, Henry Skaggs, James Knox, and others, including an old man by the name of Russell, so “dim sighted” that he tied a white rag on the muzzle of his rifle to direct his sight towards game and “thus killed a number of deer.”

THE VIRGINIA GAZETTE
September 15, 1752
The Desire of Excellence is laudable, but is very frequently ill directed. We fall, by Chance, into some Class of Mankind, and without consulting Nature or Wisdom, resolve to gain their Regard by those Qualities which they happen to esteem. I once knew a Man remarkably dim sighted, who by conversing much with Country Gentlemen, found himself irresistibly determined to Sylvan Honours, and was very desirous to be thought a skillful Sportsman. His great Ambition was to shoot flying, and he therefore spent whole Days in the Woods pursuing Game; which, before he was near enough to see them, he always frighted away."

Spence

Been there too...thanks Spence, glad I'm not the only bull in the china shop woodsman! :rotf: :wink:

Back