• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Using tow for wads?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are in a 'severe' drought in east central IL. My lubed sisal wads caused no issues during our woodswalk. Those who shot spit patch cotton patches caused umpteen smoldering leaf 'fires'. My lubed flax tow or lubed sisal tow is still fire proof.

And yes I'm serious...... spit patch cotton patches were causing great amounts of smoke in the tinder dry woods!!! We stomped out MANY hot and glowing leaf 'fires'.

freedom475,where do you find raw sheep's wool. I have tow but now am living in Arizona and it is in the desert.
If you're in an area where people raise sheep at all, there's a good chance you can find it for nearly free on facebook marketplace (just search for "raw fleece". We kept a flock for years, and while we might try to sell some of the better fleeces (and processed most for our own use) there were always some that we just tossed. The first step in processing is to pick out all the edges and spots with weed chaff in them -- I'm sure if you could find a farm like ours they'd be happy to give you that for free.

Last edited:
Dave, I like Tow but since my Sheriff friend gave me a huge Hornets nest, dried out, i am lovin’ those big, black stingers. A small wad of nest over 60 grains 2 or 3f and a blue tick patch around a .615 or .610 ball shoots consistent into a 1” circle 35 yds away and i am shootin’ a self drilled out .50 cal. Percussion Mountain Rifle converted to 19 gauge smoothbore Flintlock. I meet old Dan’l in the woods to talk and shoot.
Yep ....love my hornets nest for wadding ! Great stuff ( the outside material surrounding the nest , for folks that never used it ) , won't burn . Ive been forced to use wadding that will burn but just made sure I put it out when I went over to get my squirrel . Dont want no forest fire ...

Attachments

• IMG_20230826_125312.jpg
    IMG_20230826_125312.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back