• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Using LEE R.E.A.L. conical?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm sure that if I checked back in previous posts I would find my answer but how do Lee R. E. A. L. shoot in G. P. R.?

P.S. 54Cal 300 or 380gr

roaddog...I have found that very little is "absolute" in this game we love to play, so here are my thoughts on the Lee REAL.
The slower the twist, the "shorter" or "lighter" the Minie, or conical.
The faster the twist, the "longer" or "heavier" the Minie, or conical.
In the .54 with a 1:60 twist, I would suspect the smaller 300gr. to out perform the 380gr.
I also suspect that those "bad-mouthing" the REAL is because they have made the wrong decision on their selection.
Perhaps someone with more ballistic knowledge can give us a proper explanation as to why this will happen. I just know it does.
I shoot three different black powder calibers, in five different guns and this holds true in every case, Albeit, I have read, and talked to others, who did not agree with this. This is where I must ask myself, "what does shooting better" mean to each person doing the shooting. To me it is plain and simple;.....Better grouping with similar loads!
Good luck with your decision. Hope this helps.
Russ

The Great Plains Rifle with the slow twist is best suited for round ball loads. If I were to guess, I would say try the 300 grain. The funny thing about these black powder rifles is what should not work in some rifle due to twist will indeed sometimes work very well. You just need to give them a try.

I cast both of the 300 & 380 grain REALs. In my two .54 caliber rifles, both of which have 1:48 twist, the 300's are more accurate. By that statement I mean the 300's will shoot a tighter group. The 380 grain REALs are still respectable in the group department.

You might want to look at a ballet or a PA conical for the slow twist which your rifle has. I shoot REALs in both my .54's and .50 calibers. I have hunted with them and they are fantastic for taking deer sized animals...

Also if you want to purchase some REAL's cheap. I might suggest looking at;

Black Jack Hill

Bill and Judy make an excellent quality projectile. Their prices are more then fair, and their shipping is free. It will give you a chance to try some of the different projectiles instead of buying molds and such to cast your own. Send them an e-mail if you have any questions.

My 50 cal. GPR with a 1 in 32 twist shoots the REAL 320 conical bullet excellent using 80 grains of 3f goex @ wonder wad and a mix of beeswax,crisco @ olive oil for a homemade lube.

I had not much time in finding the best load but for a start with 80 grains it shot excellent,all shot stayed in a 2 inch group.

Latest posts

Back