• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Velocity vs pressure. Am I gonna kill myself?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, in SW Idaho you can't readily find black powder for one. The storage requirements in Ada county are prohibitive for the retailers. All you can find are the subs.

I not sure where Gunpa lives in Idaho, but I suspect he is right here in the same boat as I
UPS will deliver to your front porch.

T7 is much cleaner and easier to clean. Additionally Black Powder cannot be had where I live....that's why. Shoot what you want, I shoot what I want.

I use musket caps and do not have hangfires.
I don’t see how anything except smokeless could be easier to clean up than real black powder. Can be done in less than 10 minutes easily without solvents.

I don't have years or$ left to buy more powder for my family to dispose of when I'm gone. I just don't understand why T 7 works great with roundball but not with heavy Conicals and app starts working better with heavy Conicals. It's driving me nuts! I'm using RWS1081 musket caps BTW.

Been doing ml for about 55 years of my 68 years.. I guess I would call it sticking to it. I will say again, shoot what you want, I will shoot what I want. But, hey, thanks for the fan boy diatribes . T7 works for me.. Thank you very much.
A couple of people simply telling you BP is available by mail is going on a diatribe? And you attempt to dismiss them by calling them fan boys? Okay... :rolleyes:

I don't have years or$ left to buy more powder for my family to dispose of when I'm gone. I just don't understand why T 7 works great with roundball but not with heavy Conicals and app starts working better with heavy Conicals. It's driving me nuts! I'm using RWS1081 musket caps BTW.
Go with the finer grains. FFFg T7 works well for me with conicals

Hey @chorizo … hahaha!

To the OP, if using T7 I’ve had good success with musket caps or if using the 11’s source a larger orifice nipple, like the old Uncle Mikes hotshot etc… when loading rap on the side of the rifle at the breech after you drop the powder. A couple of sharp raps should suffice to get the powder settled under the nipple. I never have ignition issues with T7 or Pyrodex (horrors!)
Just noticed you’re using musket caps?

Last edited:
Hey @chorizo … hahaha!

To the OP, if using T7 I’ve had good success with musket caps or if using the 11’s source a larger orifice nipple, like the old Uncle Mikes hotshot etc… when loading rap on the side of the rifle at the breech after you drop the powder. A couple of sharp raps should suffice to get the powder settled under the nipple. I never have ignition issues with T7 or Pyrodex (horrors!)
Just noticed you’re using musket caps?
Yes, never an issue an issue with musket caps. Double bump on the ground (I have rubber butt pads on the hunter stocks) after pour in the powder.

Biggest issue I have had was with the Scheutzen/RIO musket caps with Treso nipples. The nipples are just a little oversize and needed a spin in the drill press and a file to bring them down so that the harder steel RIO cap would seat correctly. I have fixed that by using TOW Stainless Steel musket nipples.. The RIOS fit on them perfectly and always pop off.

As for UPS delivering to my front door, I didn't know that. I only thought Amazon did that, huh!

Some how you can't just go to a UPS hub and ship powder or any other gun parts. Even a muzzle loading shotgun. That's what I was told at the local UPS hub anyway. The lady said that I would have to generate and print out my own UPS shipping label using my UPS app (which I don't have) to sent some reloads to a friend. Things have gotten AFU lately.

Not trying to argumentative but I'm getting 7# of FFFg delivered by UPS tomorrow.
That's amazing as UPS has publicly said that they would no longer ship black powder earlier this year. Maybe they realized that they can't lose any shipping opportunities since then.

Some how you can't just go to a UPS hub and ship powder or any other gun parts. Even a muzzle loading shotgun. That's what I was told at the local UPS hub anyway. The lady said that I would have to generate and print out my own UPS shipping label using my UPS app (which I don't have) to sent some reloads to a friend. Things have gotten AFU lately.
I always wonder how UPS knows there is a muzzleloader in the box. Maybe they’re telepathic? Now,,haz mat, I understand. There are laws governing that, but a legal muzzleloader being shipped legally from one free American to another?

Yes, never an issue an issue with musket caps. Double bump on the ground (I have rubber butt pads on the hunter stocks) after pour in the powder.

Biggest issue I have had was with the Scheutzen/RIO musket caps with Treso nipples. The nipples are just a little oversize and needed a spin in the drill press and a file to bring them down so that the harder steel RIO cap would seat correctly. I have fixed that by using TOW Stainless Steel musket nipples.. The RIOS fit on them perfectly and always pop off.

As for UPS delivering to my front door, I didn't know that. I only thought Amazon did that, huh!
The only cones I had found to fit the Schuetzen caps as shipped were on the Enfield Rifles and a Pietta Smith Carbine. Those guns though all have big heavy hammers mounted with big heavy springs and they will mash a cap with great enthusiasm.

Latest posts

Back