• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Using hollow base bullets in Plains Rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeadShark

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Hi there!

Since Pedersoli offers hollow base bullets for the Tryon, I just wanted to ask how historical the use of this type of ammunition actually is. Did it exist? Did it not happen at all? Did people only load patch and ball into their half stock plains rifles?

When?
Mountain med didn’t use them. Conicals were not invented in what would be popular form till the end of the MM period.
However, conicals were used in ML hunting rifles long after breech loaders came in style. Ned Roberts told a great story of him and his Grandfather hunting bear. His grandfather used a .45 double rifle while Ned had a .44-40. Ned was not real successful.
The next year he went with a double like Granddads. Long range hunting rifles were designed for conicals by the 1850s and be popular past 1900

I was thinking about like 10 years before the ACW/during the ACW. Basically at the time hollow base bullets became popular for military use. I thought that at the same time, the civilian world would also start using them. And while the MM period ended before that, surely people still used these types of rifles for sport/hunting, right?

Can’t prove it but would doubt it.
it doesn’t work well with deep rifeling, added to the fact that bores were often random.
A .50 caliber can hour a .480,.485,.490and .495 very well, but a conicals had to be pretty specific to the caliber to shoot.

Back