• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Idaho Lewis' .50 Hollow Base Design

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Idaho Lewis had posted some of his findings about shooting a stock .50 caliber TC Renegade with paper patched hollow base bullets. I'm really glad to have saved a copy of the bullet design he posted because now I can't find it on this site. Was hoping to pick his brains about the depth of the base cavity and the weight of the bullet. Anyone know whatever happened to him?

Idaho Lewis had posted some of his findings about shooting a stock .50 caliber TC Renegade with paper patched hollow base bullets. I'm really glad to have saved a copy of the bullet design he posted because now I can't find it on this site. Was hoping to pick his brains about the depth of the base cavity and the weight of the bullet. Anyone know whatever happened to him?
Is this it? (See pic) If so, the thread is still out there.

Attachments

• 0EFC90BB-B0C6-491B-8A4D-A68A4EED5919.jpeg
    0EFC90BB-B0C6-491B-8A4D-A68A4EED5919.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Like I was saying, I'm wanting to pick his brains about the depth of the base cavity and the weight of his bullet. With some changes to the base plug for a longer bullet with a thicker skirt this mold mite do real good.

500294 Cring location.jpg

@nkbj - I just commented on that thread to bring it back to the top. It is in this same thread, “Percussion Rifles” and is titled:
'500 Yards, Stock 1:48 Twist TC Renegade .50 Cal'

Last edited:
Like I was saying, I'm wanting to pick his brains about the depth of the base cavity and the weight of his bullet. With some changes to the base plug for a longer bullet with a thicker skirt this mold mite do real good.

View attachment 208893
the hollow base bullets are swaged paper patch bullets from buffalo arms.. i don't remember him mentioning designing any hollow base bullets,,, i love the baco version too in 45 cal at least (all i've tried)!! I doube i could cast one as good as these swaged pills.... I found a die from canada for a very similar bullet for "casting". kal tool & die,, guess your thinking of making something different?? those guys would probably have lots of experience with what you are wanting to ask? good luck!

the hollow base bullets are swaged paper patch bullets from buffalo arms.. i don't remember him mentioning designing any hollow base bullets,,, i love the baco version too in 45 cal at least (all i've tried)!! I doube i could cast one as good as these swaged pills.... I found a die from canada for a very similar bullet for "casting". kal tool & die,, guess your thinking of making something different?? those guys would probably have lots of experience with what you are wanting to ask? good luck!
I’ve used them in 3 flavors, 40, 45, and 50 now. I only have one rifle that seems to return significantly better accuracy than the grease grooved bullets so that’s the way I’m going. It’s probably down to my old damn body and eyeballs frankly. Golden years my ass…

i think he did that after u tube deleted several of them as too pro gun or something
I believe the experience of the variables of mirage, spin drift. even correlis effect and windage of long range shooting and how to deal with them finally caught up with him ! He didn't seem to have any working knowledge of how these must be accounted for to achieve any match level, repeatable consistency, in our discussions.

I believe the experience of the variables of mirage, spin drift. even correlis effect and windage of long range shooting and how to deal with them finally caught up with him ! He didn't seem to have any working knowledge of how these must be accounted for to achieve any match level, repeatable consistency, in our discussions.
With the exception of mirage aren't the other factors dealt with by making sight adjustments and or corrections?

With the exception of mirage aren't the other factors dealt with by making sight adjustments and or corrections?
Yes, they all are sight corrections, but one must understand how wind speed and direction , humidity, barometric pressure and light effect the amount of sight change required. A for instance is a fish tail wind coming at you or away from you and what it looks like through a spotting scope. Some times no sight correction is needed at all but rather just a hold up until the condition returns to a norm that has been caught and established through the scope and wind flag movement.
I've seen and experienced many a good score ruined by a missed wind call at even 600 yards which is where I have had a good deal of competitive experience and the farther out one goes the harder it gets. .

Yes, they all are sight corrections, but one must understand how wind speed and direction , humidity, barometric pressure and light effect the amount of sight change required. A for instance is a fish tail wind coming at you or away from you and what it looks like through a spotting scope. Some times no sight correction is needed at all but rather just a hold up until the condition returns to a norm that has been caught and established through the scope and wind flag movement.
I've seen and experienced many a good score ruined by a missed wind call at even 600 yards which is where I have had a good deal of competitive experience and the farther out one goes the harder it gets. .
I get and agree with ya but my current line of thinking is. So long as someone can spot their impacts getting onto something like a 3 or 4 foot gong at range is doable with sight corrections even if they don't know the physics. With the caveat that some variables like the switching winds or heat mirage can make it quite difficult if not impossible at times.

I get and agree with ya but my current line of thinking is. So long as someone can spot their impacts getting onto something like a 3 or 4 foot gong at range is doable with sight corrections even if they don't know the physics. With the caveat that some variables like the switching winds or heat mirage can make it quite difficult if not impossible at times.
Lewis was shooting something like 1200 yards in mountainous terrain and was getting some hits on a 4x4 steel target if I remember correctly and that was some good shooting but mostly chance and would be impossible to consistently repeat from impact register alone without learning to read condition through a spotting scope and compensate for it. I've seen condition reversals in a matter of minutes on a rifle range that will move you from one side of the target to the other when missed without a sight correction or hold off.
In mountainous terrain wind and light condition changes are continuous and can boggle the mind to compensate for as there are no wind flags or known range markers to help out.
I've also hunted sheep and goats in mountainous terrain here in AK and can testify how hard it is to make long range hits without factoring condition changes with flat shooting high intensity cartridges and scoped rifles..
These are the things that are taught and learned in sniper schools and are what allow repeat hits at extended ranges.

Last edited:
Ron was shooting something like 1200 yards in mountainous terrain and was getting some hits on a 4x4 steel target if I remember correctly and that was some good shooting but mostly chance and would be impossible to consistently repeat from impact register alone without learning to read condition through a spotting scope and compensate for it. I've seen condition reversals in a matter of minutes on a rifle range that will move you from one side of the target to the other when missed without a sight correction or hold off.
In mountainous terrain wind and light condition changes are continuous and can boggle the mind to compensate for as there are no wind flags or known range markers to help out.
I've also hunted sheep and goats in mountainous terrain here in AK and can testify how hard it is to make long range hits without factoring condition changes with flat shooting high intensity cartridges and scoped rifles..
These are the things that are taught and learned in sniper schools and are what allow repeat hits at extended ranges.
I must have missed something in those short and highly edited vids he used to put up. I took it that he was showing it was possible to connect at those ranges not that it was easy. Btw, you misspelled Coriolis.

I must have missed something in those short and highly edited vids he used to put up. I took it that he was showing it was possible to connect at those ranges not that it was easy. Btw, you misspelled Coriolis.
Yeah, I took a stab at the spelling hoping spell check would find it for me but it didn't , alas it was close enough to communicate the meaning and that was all that was needed.
Lewis did not seem interested it getting better at long range shooting only crowing about his ability to occasionally make hits at long range by walking onto the target.
This is not how repeatable long range target grade accuracy is accomplished as any change in the condition renders the previous walk up hit meaningless.
Any experienced mid or long range competitor will know this and what the remedy is for condition read and correction.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back