• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Using Corn Cob

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was a kid in the 50's, corn cobs were occasionally used as stoppers on crockery water jugs carried on the tractor if a cork wasn't available. The jugs were usually wrapped with burlap and soaked with water to help keep the jug cool as the water evaporated from the burlap. The cobs came from mature ear corn and not from cooked sweet corn. I don't know how immature sweet corn cobs would work.

In Connecticut we had tobacco farms everywhere and barns for drying it in. So we smoked broad leaf cigar wrapper tobacco

My dad, coming from a small town in Iowa told me of a traditional use for corn cobs back in the early days.

They used in the privy, a lot of red ones in a basket and one white one hanging by a string.

The white one was used to see if you needed to use more of the red ones. :rotf:

ROTFL.

In Northeast TX, it was the SEARS & ROEBUCK "big book" that was used typically in the privy.

We weren't poor enough to stoop to corncobs of any color, though that's where the term "rough as a cob" came from, I suspect.

yours, satx

I use a couple of dried corn cobs for the handles on my round-ball mold. Keeps it significantly cooler than the leather wrappings I had on it originally.

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:
Dan

Granddad Briggs used to grow his own 'cotton boll twist' Tobacco on the homestead near Many, La. He cured it in the barn and chewed it on a regular basis. Story was, if present company was not to his liking, he would crumble up some in a pipe and go to smoking. They said he could clear a room of folks (and probably most species of annoying insects) in short order. :grin: Said it worked great repelling jobbers and politicians! :rotf: George.

nhmoose said:
Best use for corn cobs I know. My family smoked the bacon and hams with them.
Of course if we were as smart as the NAs, we could be eating them. Sorta.

Description by Buffalo Bird Woman of one use of cobs by the Hidatsa tribe along the Missouri River, ca 1850-60:

The Cobs

The day's threshing over, we attended to the cobs. I have said that we shelled off any kernels that clung to them after threshing, so that they were now quite clean of grain.

All day long, as we threshed, we had watched that no horses got at the cobs to trample and nibble them, or that any dog ran over them, or any children played in them. Then, in the evening, if the weather was fine, and there was little wind, one of my mothers or I carried the cobs outside of the village to a grassy place and heaped them in a pile about five feet high. A pile of cobs of such a height I usually gathered from a day's threshing.

In our prairie country, on a fair day, the wind usually dies down about sunset; and now, when the air was still, I fired the cob pile. As the pile began to burn, I could usually see the burning cob piles of two or three other families lighting up the gathering dusk.

I had to stay and watch the fire, to keep any mischievous boys from coming to play in the burning heap. Children of from ten to fifteen years of age were quite a pest at cob-firing time. They had a kind of game they were fond of playing. Each would cut a long, flexible, green stick, and at the edge of the Missouri he would get a ball of wet mud and stick it on his stick. He would try to approach one of the burning piles, and with his stick, slap the mud ball smartly into the burning coals, some of which, still glowing, would stick in the wet mud. Using the stick as a sling, the child would throw the mud ball into the air, aiming often at another child. Other children would be throwing mud balls at one another at the same time, and these, with the bits of glowing charcoal clinging to them, would go sailing through the air like shooting stars. Knowing very well that the children would get into my burning cobs if I even turned my back, I was careful to stay by to watch.

At last the fire had burned down and the coals were dead; and nothing was left but a pile of ashes. It was now night, and I would go home. Early the next morning, before the prairie winds had arisen, I would go out again to my ash heap. On the top of the ashes, if nothing had disturbed them in the night and an unexpected wind had not blown them about, I would find a thin crust had formed. This crust I carefully broke and gathered up with my fingers, squeezing the pieces in my hand into little lumps, or balls. Sometimes I was able to gather four or five of these little balls from one pile of ashes; but never more than five.

These balls I carried home. There were always several baskets hanging in the lodge, ready for any use we might want of them; and it was our habit to keep some dried buffalo heart skins, or some dried buffalo paunch skins, in the lodge, for wrappers, much as white families keep wrapping paper in the house. The ash balls I wrapped up in one of these skins, into a package, being careful not to break the balls. I put the package in one of the baskets, to hang up until there was occasion for its use.

These ash balls were used for seasoning. I have explained elsewhere how we used spring salt to season our boiled corn; and that every day in the lodge, we ate mä'dạkạpa, or pounded dried ripe corn boiled with beans. But in the fall, instead of seasoning this dish with spring salt, or alkali salt as you call it, we preferred to use this seasoning of ash crust.

In my father's family, for each meal of mä'dạkạpa we filled the corn mortar three times, two-and-a-half double handfuls of corn making one filling of the mortar. Each time we filled the mortar, we dropped in with the corn a little of the ash crust, a bit about as big as a white child's marble. Finally, a piece about as big, or perhaps a little larger, was also dropped into the boiling pot.

We Indians were fond of this seasoning; and we liked it much better than we did our spring salt. We did not use spring salt, indeed, if we had ash balls in the lodge.

We called these ash balls mä'dạkạpa isĕ'pĕ, or mä'dạkạpa darkener.

We did not make ash balls if the dogs or horses had trampled on the cobs; or if children had mussed in the fire; nor would we make ash balls if the day had not been rather calm, for a high wind was sure to blow dust into the cobs.

We burned cobs and collected ash balls after every threshing day, unless hindered by storm or high wind. But even if the harvest was a good one, the ash balls that we got from the burned cobs for seasoning never lasted long. We were so fond of seasoning our food with them that every family had used up its store before the autumn had passed.
Spence

In the mountains we had a basket of red corn cobs and a basket of white corn cobs in the outhouse. The idea was to use two red ones, then use a white one, to see if you need another red one. :redface:

As a kid in the fifties we also had a Sears catalog in the outhouse...but for some reason the ladies lingerie pages never got used...never could figure out why :shocked2:

Back