• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Using a lubed cushion wad for both PRB and shot?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am new to flintlocks (got a 20 gauge flintlock fowler for first gun) and was wondering this question above.... just to see if anyone does this? (thinking that just lubing cushion wads are easy and effective?)

Is there any other effective and efficient lubing sources and what do others notice that works for them?

Also effective and efficient lubing that can be bought in stores?

Also I have not shot my gun yet (tools and materials are still being shipped) and know that different guns react to different combinations... just trying to have list of options...

It seems like everyone has different methods. Lately, I've been using just a bare ball over the powder, and a wad on top. Duelist1954 has quite a few videos on smooth bore shooting and loading on Youtube. They're worth a look.

I use a thin card on my powder then a lubed felt wad or lubed ball of tow, then projectile of choice, held in by a thin card,, for my standard load.
The only time I use the wads sold as "cushion wads," is with the Skychief load,,, and then it goes in last, and very heavily soaked and dripping with lube.

I keep it simple.
What ever I'm popping out of a smootbore it involves just thin cards stamped out by myself.
When required I put a blob of lube between the cards.
Bees wax and olive oil is my choice.
I have tested wonder lube extensively and the only wonder about it is that it is called a black powder lube! Because it isn't!!

When I started with my first smoothbore, I tried a fiber wad on top of the powder and a Wonder lube patched round ball. Now I use neatsfoot oil for the patch lube and no fiber wad. I agree with Britsmoothy. I don't think Wonder Lube works very well as a lube.

I save the wonderlube for the wood on my unmentionable shotguns. I've used an overpowder card then patched ball. Experimenting now with powder, overshot card, lubed wad, ball, overshot card.

I use 3f in calibers up to and including 12ga. The below is what works best for me with it.

For me best shot patterns are achieved by using thick cork wads. In my 12ga side by side I use ready made Pedersoli ones. They are 3/4in (20mm) thick if I remember correctly. They have a piece of card glued to the bottom and top. They are waxed, but lubing the outside helps to slide them down the bore.

Same in 20ga, but for 16ga precut corks are not available. I made a press cutter I use with 6mm (a quarter inch) cork sheet. Then I stack 3 of them on top of powder.

A paper shot cup made at the muzzle tightens the pattern a bit too if required.

Then a card is used on top to prevent shot rolling out.

For ball shooting I haven't seen the benefits of using any wad between the ball and powder. Others do use them so it is worth experimenting.

I prefer shooting bare ball on top of powder. If it is the first shot and the barrel is so clean there is a risk of the ball rolling forward I'll put a "wad" of crumbled paper on top (not in wild fire season!) or a card wad. For subsequent shots the fouling is enough to keep the ball on powder.

I have also tried prb few times. I haven't shot it enough to be able to tell a difference.

I am new to flintlocks (got a 20 gauge flintlock fowler for first gun) and was wondering this question above.... just to see if anyone does this? (thinking that just lubing cushion wads are easy and effective?)

Is there any other effective and efficient lubing sources and what do others notice that works for them?

Also effective and efficient lubing that can be bought in stores?

There are lots of effective and efficient sources of lubrication for the wads in a smoothbore. One of the simplest is buying the cheapest olive oil in the grocery store or one of those tiny bottles in the Dollar Store. That will be enough to tell if you think olive oil is an effective lubrication.

Might as well get a Dollar sized bottle of Dawn or any brand of dish detergent. Dish detergent and water are effective and efficient cleaning solvents.

You might want to look up the VM Starr article on shot loading on this site. It is an awfully good starting point. (Keep in mind that several systems work.)

Personally, my experience has been that the cushion wads tend to blow a hole in the pattern, less so if I cut them into thirds. But no cushion wad works just as well if not better.

Correction, Skychief load, as described by the man himself and outlined and shown in pictoral form at the top of the smoothbore and hunting forums,

Powder,
Nitro card,
Shot,
Thin overshot card,
THEN,
Thick fiber "cushion" wad heavily soaked in lube.

Latest posts

Back