• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Using A Hammer Stall While Hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any time my pan is primed while hunting on the move...
when stationary on stand its comes off....
Have had a branch get tangled with the lock-trigger and it was a lesson well learned.
Best 2 bucks i have spent.
Hammer stalls work! p/c - h/c police can go pound sand on this one. :slap:

makeumsmoke said:
Hammer stalls work!
p/c - h/c police can go pound sand on this one.
Yes, I feel the same way...if I got all hung up on pc/hc things...while wearing modern Gore-Tex, Thinsulate insulated hunting clothes & boots...it would ring a little hollow to me...LOL

makeumsmoke said:

How about the non pc people who just think they're dumb? :idunno: I don't use one when I hunt in wool camo and blaze orange for the same reason I don't use one in period gear. You have posioned your own mind against something you don't understand. PC folk mostly could care a fig how you choose to hunt.

For what it's worth, I don't think his comment was being directed towards anyone in particular.
And there have been threads in the past when discussions about Hammer Stalls have drawn fire that they weren't PC or HC.
I think it was just a general tongue-in-cheek comment here reflecting on heat taken in past threads

If I ever decide to get a flintlock this thread has convinced me that the hammer stall is a great idea. I can be clumbsy on occasion. Besides I think they add a little extra something to the look. Kinda styleish in a way.

cynthialee said:
If I ever decide to get a flintlock this thread has convinced me that the hammer stall is a great idea. I can be clumbsy on occasion. Besides I think they add a little extra something to the look. Kinda styleish in a way.
The concerns I have are things like tripping/fallng...or the little sliver of a notch on the tumble (that the sear catches to hold the hammer back)...fractures/flakes off accidentally, then forward goes the hammer under spring tension, and the rifle fires.
My personal belief is that there's not a hunter alive who 100% of the time always has the muzzle in a 100% safe direction at every moment, myself included.
Again, my personal choice is whatever disciplines I found logical & appropriate to follow in my entire hunting life with C/F rifles and shotguns, I try to follow with muzzleloaders.

Now, if in the actual act of pushing a field trying to flush a pheasant, or a thicket trying to flush a grouse, or the edge of a dove field...you'll be focused, deliberate, gun at the ready, hammer stall off...makes perfect sense to hunt that way.
But for me, 99% of my hunting activities are basically deer, squirrel, turkey and there's always been time to slip off the stall.

Others mileage may vary

makeumsmoke said:
Any time my pan is primed while hunting on the move...
when stationary on stand its comes off....
Have had a branch get tangled with the lock-trigger and it was a lesson well learned.
Best 2 bucks i have spent.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

In addition...I have gotten my flints to ignite without priming the pan...
all it takes is one small bit of 3f from the powder charge to dribble out..
Yes hammer stalls work!

12 ga. T/C New Englander converted to flint.
IMG_1040_1.jpg

I use one. They are required for the military guns at reenactments, and I developed the habit. They come off quick, and work very well. The only problem is that you need to double check a new flint when added to the rifle or musket, as often jus a fraction of an inch will fit the lock fine, but the addition of the stall and the edge of the flint touches the stall..., and may slighly open the pan allowing moisture in or prime out. I didn't save the reference, but (iirc) they are documented as used by German troops in the AWI :hmm:

LD

I allways use a hammer stall. We have allways taught in Hunter Ed that no half cock notch can be relied upon as a "safety". Think about the fact that the old Colt six shooters were safest carried with the hammer resting on a empty chamber. BJH

Back