• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Using A Hammer Stall While Hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm considering the addition of a hammer stall for deer season and was wondering how many other folks use them or have tried them. It seems like a simple safety precaution for those missed opportunities (cocked but no shot). The only downside I could see is adding one more step to the shooting process. What is your experience hunters? Do you find that it gets in the way outside of its intended purpose?

I dont use one but I probably need too. So far I've never had the need but ya just never know when you could take a fall an it be bad enough to knock the cock to the frizzen. I've been thinking bout making myself one out of braintan :grin:

I have several and use them but not religiously. I suppose I do use them more often than not but don't find them absolutely necessary.

If you hunt primed with frizzen closed and hammer at full cock or even at 1/2 cock, you need one.IHMO Deadeye

I have them on all my flinters, dangling on a whang tied to the trigger guard. I don't move and hunt with them in place on the frizzen, but any time I get around other folks or feel like I need an extra measure of caution, I generally slip them into place rather than dumping the pan.

Most of our game shooting is pretty quick, often at moving targets. Just one smooth motion from carry to shoulder, aim and shoot. It's one thing to cock a gun as you bring it up to your shoulder. Removing hammer stall and cocking is a nonstarter for me. Removing the hammer stall, cocking AND setting a trigger isn't going to bring home the venison. When it comes to shooting, the stall is dangling and the set trigger might as well not exist.

It depends on the type of hunting and other motion I am doing while hunting. If I am going to or back from a TREESTAND, I use the hamerstall. When I am sitting in a stand, I generally leave it off, and the hammer at half-cock.

If I am still hunting- where a jumped deer might be my only shot- I leave it off. Instead, I place my thumb against the back of the hammer to hold it in the half cock notch, in those very rare cases I have to negotiate branches or bramble.

I generally stay on game trails, and work around thickets, rather than trying to "bust" through them. I move very slowly, stopping often to look and listen. I try not to upset "alarm" birds and varmints, like squirrels. I certainly do not make the noises of a bulldozer through the woods, and expect to see any game! :doh:

stormcrow said:
What is your experience hunters? Do you find that it gets in the way outside of its intended purpose?
Best thing since sliced bread...have used Hammer Stalls on every Flintlock I've hunted with for the past 12 years...deer, squirrel, turkey...doesn't matter...never had a problem.
Total safety against accidental hammer drop causing an AD...whether cocking, uncocking, setting triggers, unsetting triggers, etc...and they work as advertised.
The last thing I do before drawing down on game is simply flick off the stall and take the shot...no different than flicking off the safety on a modern CF rifle or shotgun. Personally, I wouldn't hunt without one.

090311HammerStallonChambersDeluxeSiler.jpg

What is your experience hunters? Do you find that it gets in the way outside of its intended purpose?

They are on all my guns. Never once had a problem taking one off for a shot...13 times...13 deer tagged so far. Not going to argue with anyone whether they are needed or not. I use them and will continue to use them because I want to.

I only use mine when pulling my gun up or lowering it down when in my climber...I open the frizzen and clean out the powder, put on the stall and lower the hammer...

While hunting my gun is on half cock, no room for a stall between the frizzen and flint on my guns...

Didn't use them for awhile but now I do....like RB says works a lot like a safety on a CF If I'm in the stand rifle is on full cock hammer stall is on.Depending on the situation I'll set the trigger or not...then remove the stall and shoot.for walking around stalking etc half cock and stall on,several years ago as a test while watching 2 does from a measured 75yds I took the rifle off half to full cock both deer heard it :shocked2: Now they didn't bolt but they heard the click :redface:

Me too, I love them when deer hunting, especially. Couldn't have said it better.

Your are right about bird hunting and to me even squirrel hunting. That is why I said, especially deer hunting. I was caught once deer hunting, bring the flinter to full cock and setting trigger. The buck of my dreams heard it. Now, with the hammer stall, while deer hunting, I can remain silent. Time to get practice in now for dove hunting!!!!!!!

I cock only the instant before shooting and don't favor set triggers. Haven't hunted with one since the 1980's when I snagged a mitten and shot WELL over a huge buck (would have been my largest then or since). I wouldn't move with a cocked flintlock gun or rifle. I don't even stump sit with a cocked piece. If it's that easy to remove it's that easy to have had slip off when pushing through brush and briars (my haunts). I hunt deer and grouse about the same in the same locations. Slowly moving on foot.

Just a different apporoach, I guess. The hammerstalls came into favor at reenactments as a visual confirmation a flintlock is hampered.

I should have called my dog "GPS", because one shot and I can follow him directly home following the shortest possible path. He walks behind me whenever I am "packing". Longarm, pistol or bow. :shake:

Stumpkiller said:
I should have called my dog "GPS", because one shot and I can follow him directly home following the shortest possible path. He walks behind me whenever I am "packing". Longarm, pistol or bow. :shake:
:grin:

As a matter of fact I do have a hammer stall on all my guns tied to the tg with a leather thong. Makes it hard to miss them if they are swinging all around. I usually carry my guns at half cock and normally with the stall in place; there are exceptions. Once I'm settled into a cozy spot waiting for the appearance of game, it's not unusual for me to set at full cock with stall in place; often at half cock but full cock is not unusual is such situations.

Reminds me of an incident where a woman saw a 1911 in a lawman's holster and the 1911 was, of course, at full cock - safety on. She asked, "isn't that dangerous"? The lawman replied, "yep, it sure is".

I thought I was the only one with that kind of GPS!! :shocked2:

As far as hammer stalls I've never used one but I do think about it once in a while. probably safer than just dumping the prime.

Back