• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Using a chronograph

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So a local gun shop recently started producing black powder. And I picked up a pound of 3f for a friend and some 2f for myself. Anyway going to his range tomorrow and we are going to set up his sons chrono to test it out compaired to goex and Swiss. So he’s never used it and I’m wondering how far to set it up from the muzzle and will the patch affect it?
Will let you all know the results. I’m excited for this and hope it shoots well. The shop is close and it’s a really good price.
Thanks!

Set it about 15 to 20 feet from the muzzle and make damn sure you don't shoot IT!!.
I set mine up, got the readings I was looking for, put it back in the box never to be opened again.
This is with center fire rigs. I find it a waste of time.
All 5 shots going in the same hole @ 100 yards from the bench so IMHO, no reason to know how fast the bullet is going. Don't expect anyone/anything to out run it. ;)

Thanks for the responses. Like I said I hope it shoots well. I’m thinking this might be the only powder produced in the US. And the fact it’s so close is a huge bonus

i did some extensive shooting with several barrel lengths one day. 15 yards worked for me. until i put a nice fat .54 caliber plains bullet through the thing.
just had a b day and got a new one. along with the threat of bodily harm if i shoot this one.
the 54 vs chrono was spectacular though! guess you could say DRT!

Thanks for the responses. Like I said I hope it shoots well. I’m thinking this might be the only powder produced in the US. And the fact it’s so close is a huge bonus
A local gun shop "making" black powder? Are you certain of that or are they just repackaging from somebody else? The rules and regs and insurance requirements surrounding producing black powder make me think they're just repackaging.

A local gun shop "making" black powder? Are you certain of that or are they just repackaging from somebody else? The rules and regs and insurance requirements surrounding producing black powder make me think they're just repackaging.
Nope it’s legit. I spoke with them and see their set up
331978BD-27CC-44FB-8AE5-7D479B947160.jpeg
E3BCA2C0-BBEA-4742-B1C4-55754FB6A1AA.jpeg

Last edited:
I'd be curious as to how they stack up against Swiss. If they want to get into the "big leagues" they should check into the North South Skirmish Association. We go through more than a little powder. Check this thread out for more information-
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/...inquiring-minds-have-too-little-to-do.150091/
At this point it’s pretty small operation. I’m on the Board of the Pa Federation of Black Powder Shooters. And will spread the word of it shoots well. As far as it stacking up to Swiss, well that’s a tall order.

At this point it’s pretty small operation. I’m on the Board of the Pa Federation of Black Powder Shooters. And will spread the word of it shoots well. As far as it stacking up to Swiss, well that’s a tall order.
I'd be curious as to how they stack up against Swiss. If they want to get into the "big leagues" they should check into the North South Skirmish Association. We go through more than a little powder. Check this thread out for more information-
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/...inquiring-minds-have-too-little-to-do.150091/
they go through a lot of powder for sure. I’ve been to back creek, 2 hour drive for me. We talked for a bit and I picked up a case of Swiss from him. Very nice guy and like a walking history book

Brewyak, looking forward to hearing the results! See you at the State Shoot in August, we’ll have to shoot the woods walk again…what a fun time! Some good shooters here…well mayby not the guy to the right of you with the smoothbore lol!
image000000.jpeg

Lot number 1. If for some reason that company takes off that bottle would be a nice man cave decoration in 30 years.

Ok so here’s the report. Less than ideal conditions with the rain but we were under roof. For both of us it was very strange to shoot off a bench. We both shoot a lot and all off hand. 25yds five shot groups. Grouping was good. I shoot Swiss normally and friend still has a stash of goex so that’s our normal jam. The I have round bottom rifling with a colerain bbl and he is using a Douglas with square rifling. He notice more fowling with the American Powder I did but not as much as him. We used a chronograph to see the consistency

Attachments

• EBB854AB-3780-4BE2-B6E3-2914E69646A7.jpeg
    EBB854AB-3780-4BE2-B6E3-2914E69646A7.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 314D5EC8-FB6C-40EC-A721-FCFA0163DC69.jpeg
    314D5EC8-FB6C-40EC-A721-FCFA0163DC69.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • F11169F5-999A-4EC5-8F16-60FD15940EA6.jpeg
    F11169F5-999A-4EC5-8F16-60FD15940EA6.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • EB2E4CB2-B9BA-410F-BDF2-B8D20BB8A03C.jpeg
    EB2E4CB2-B9BA-410F-BDF2-B8D20BB8A03C.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 85DFA0FB-53CC-4E41-BD6D-6743DA056DD6.jpeg
    85DFA0FB-53CC-4E41-BD6D-6743DA056DD6.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Brewyak, looking forward to hearing the results! See you at the State Shoot in August, we’ll have to shoot the woods walk again…what a fun time! Some good shooters here…well mayby not the guy to the right of you with the smoothbore lol!View attachment 232880
That was a good shoot. I was there last month for the “chicken shoot”. Came home with enough chicken for a lot of dinners!! Looking forward to the state shoot. It will be fun

Back