• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Testing new brand of black powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Insurance costs may have something to do with it but the real issue is that to sell black powder one must have a Federal explosives license and meet all the government storage regulations. With that license goes regular inspections of the physical storage and all the related business paperwork by the BATF. I have a friend who is a distributor and he had a recent inspection. He was away on business and his wife was working at her job elsewhere when they arrived. They (2 agents) told him they would be waiting till someone got there which was going to be late in the afternoon. True to their word they were still there when he got home very late that afternoon and they conducted a complete inspection finishing up in the evening. No small or even larger stores are going to go through all that to sell a few hundred pounds of powder, if that much, when they can have a much better return on their money selling Glocks and AR15s.

Last edited:
Bought a pound of "American Pioneer Powder" in fffg, in Gold form (replacement for Jim Shockey's 'TM' gold. The label says it contains no sulfur. I will be firing it in my flintlock rifle. Will have to wait till the 85 plus degree weather passes.

Bought a pound of "American Pioneer Powder" in fffg, in Gold form (replacement for Jim Shockey's 'TM' gold. The label says it contains no sulfur. I will be firing it in my flintlock rifle. Will have to wait till the 85 plus degree weather passes.
I will be 100% dumbfounded if that works. I'm not a betting man, but I may be inclined to bet money on this NOT working at all!

I will be 100% dumbfounded if that works. I'm not a betting man, but I may be inclined to bet money on this NOT working at all!
100% agree...The substitutes don't work reliably in a flintlock. At best, with generous pan powder, you get a fuse effect and long hangfire.

Ya never know until you try it yourself, then you KNOW. My prediction is it will work, most of the time, with a good lock and flint, with a full two-second hang fire.

I pm’d the owner asking if he would be making 3f as his website only listed 2f. He returned my pm and said they had 2,3&4F. I’m pretty sure it’s black powder. I never heard of substitute 4f. Anywho, I’ll probably be in his store in a month or so and find out.

I pm’d the owner asking if he would be making 3f as his website only listed 2f. He returned my pm and said they had 2,3&4F. I’m pretty sure it’s black powder. I never heard of substitute 4f. Anywho, I’ll probably be in his store in a month or so and find out.
He does have 3f when I bought my pound of 2 I also bought some 3 f for a friend. We tested it out the same day
@brewyak question to the OP...was your testing in flint or percussion guns?
sorry just seen this. Was testing with my flintlock. cabin creek colonial VA rifle

I still have my doubts if it is not a play on words, perhaps to make one think it is real BP. I would bet it is either a sub, or a very low class of the original product. The shops around my area that don't carry the real BP says it's because of the regulations on storage. Let's be realistic with this explosive stuff, if you do a bit of research, it is not really hard to make an explosive for nefarious reasons that is a lot better than BP if one was so inclined.
It is real black powder

Attachments

• 62239BE0-16BF-4EE5-807D-8AD4A42672D9.jpeg
    62239BE0-16BF-4EE5-807D-8AD4A42672D9.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back