• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Testing new brand of black powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally a pic of the back of the container, this should of been posted first thing when the questions started about the product. It would of answered a lot of questions.

They are capable of making a much hotter product. I believe they are trying to hit a particular standard or something.

Last I checked it was about 1.74. Working on that.

Thank you for the reply on that. Your numbers are pretty much right on the money for grain density. Since I didn't know you were a member, what I was really asking was anyone who had purchased some to measure a volume charge and then weigh it. My suspicion is that the volume charges will be significantly light due to grain shape and packing. If volume of finished powder is close to weight, then the only explanation for low performance is the quality of the charcoal or insufficient incorporation.

Thank you for the reply on that. Your numbers are pretty much right on the money for grain density. Since I didn't know you were a member, what I was really asking was anyone who had purchased some to measure a volume charge and then weigh it. My suspicion is that the volume charges will be significantly light due to grain shape and packing. If volume of finished powder is close to weight, then the only explanation for low performance is the quality of the charcoal or insufficient incorporation.
We are looking into all of the above. We appreciate all feedback as it helps us make a better powder. We are definitely looking into more pressure. As we progress our powder names will change. Hot down & dirty is just what it says. It is our very first production powder. (HDD) I believe our next powder will be Under more pressure (UMP) and so on and so forth.

@ftg99 , would you care to share what wood is used for your charcoal? I expect this to be proprietary information, but just wondered if you could share. Wood type used for the charcoal is often a large factor in speed and fouling characteristics

We are looking into all of the above. We appreciate all feedback as it helps us make a better powder. We are definitely looking into more pressure. As we progress our powder names will change. Hot down & dirty is just what it says. It is our very first production powder. (HDD) I believe our next powder will be Under more pressure (UMP) and so on and so forth.
While your working on the powder please also work on the website.

A little more about what the product really is and where your going with it (like you've posted here) would help a lot

Also: tell your story. Why you wanted to start this business, what draws you to black powder, your history in black powder firearms. This would give me and others a reason to choose you and help you rather than wait for Estes to stop sitting on their hands or pobying up for Swiss

While your working on the powder please also work on the website.

A little more about what the product really is and where your going with it (like you've posted here) would help a lot

Also: tell your story. Why you wanted to start this business, what draws you to black powder, your history in black powder firearms. This would give me and others a reason to choose you and help you rather than wait for Estes to stop sitting on their hands or pobying up for Swiss
Really quick. I have a friend who's confederate reenactment group was going to 160th Gettysburg and wanted American Black Powder. I made it, it was on the battlefield of Gettysburg and then selling out the store and the web site was not up yet. Juggling purchasing machinery, manufacturing, and the website last minute. We are getting there and a lot more information will be forthcoming.

OMG!!! 2 years of bitchin about Goex going out. Biting finger nails and fretting about lack of black powder.

Now we have an American, starting an American company, and all these complaints cuz it's not Goex equal right out of the gate. And the website isn't what people want. Cut the guy some slack, any product takes time to develop, so do websites. Always learning curve.

Sorry, rant over.

Latest posts

Back