• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nipple id

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingnut6999

32 Cal
Reaction score
Morning, when I purchased this rifle about 12 years ago, this was the nipple that was on it. The rifle was last seen in the traditions catalog in 1992. according to traditions this is an after market nipple.
As u can see, u place the cap on the actual nipple, then screw the nipple cap down over top of it. I suppose it helps with moisture if u are out hunting. But it's a pain at the range as after a couple of shots, the caps with hang up inside the screw on cover and have to be picked out.
I have tried to remove using an Allan wrench as a nipple wrench doesn't work, short of grabbing it with pliers as I did
20230928_083728.jpg
n't wanna damage it until I have the nipple (A1250) to replace it.
Just curious if anyone knows about this type of nipple.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20230928_083712.jpg
    20230928_083712.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230928_083638.jpg
    20230928_083638.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Is the cap left threaded? Would seem a poor design if not...but probably soaking the nipple in kroil for several hours should help to remove it.

Will the gun fire a cap without the cover in place? If so just us the current nipple without the cover although at some point you will need to remove it.

Morning, when I purchased this rifle about 12 years ago, this was the nipple that was on it. The rifle was last seen in the traditions catalog in 1992. according to traditions this is an after market nipple.
As u can see, u place the cap on the actual nipple, then screw the nipple cap down over top of it. I suppose it helps with moisture if u are out hunting. But it's a pain at the range as after a couple of shots, the caps with hang up inside the screw on cover and have to be picked out.
I have tried to remove using an Allan wrench as a nipple wrench doesn't work, short of grabbing it with pliers as I didView attachment 256646n't wanna damage it until I have the nipple (A1250) to replace it.
Just curious if anyone knows about this type of nipple.
Thanks in

Is the cap left threaded? Would seem a poor design if not...but probably soaking the nipple in kroil for several hours should help to remove it.
I don't think it's reverse thread, that's one reason I'm trying to find out more about this type of nipple. And I've sprayed it with seafoams deep creep.

Will the gun fire a cap without the cover in place? If so just us the current nipple without the cover although at some point you will need to remove it.
It fires with cap in place as it has a moving firing pin inside the screw on cap. And I will be removing it as soon as my new nipples arrive.

Get a nipple to replace the nipple on @Wingnut1231's rifle. It will most likely be threaded for a 6mm -1.00.

There is no need for such a cap covering nipple meant to solve a problem that really doesn't exist.
I've got nipples ordered. This was on the rifle when I bought it. This guns around 30 years old and seldom fired. I've owned it for about 12 years but just got into shooting it the last couple years. Problem is there is no place for a wrench and it takes an allan wrench but even soaking it it still won't move. After I get my nipples it will either be needle nose vice grips or a trip to the local gunsmith. Lol

File 2 parallel flats into the threaded area just above the base. Try to get a spanner on it and, after some good soaking, it might just turn out.
Could also try cutting a slot through the center of it and try a screwdriver or similar.

I have a nipple very similar to yours,mine takes a small pistol primer,I shot one shot then spent several minutes trying to dig spent primer out,before I shot it I was trying to figure out a decent way to remove without knackering up the threads,after digging primer out I didnt care if I ruined it so just used my trusty leatherman and unscrewed it,I really didnt mess it up much,i think 2 or 3 minutes with a needle file to touch up threads in couple places it will be fine,I'll put it up for just in case I want to try again some day.

I have a nipple very similar to yours,mine takes a small pistol primer,I shot one shot then spent several minutes trying to dig spent primer out,before I shot it I was trying to figure out a decent way to remove without knackering up the threads,after digging primer out I didnt care if I ruined it so just used my trusty leatherman and unscrewed it,I really didnt mess it up much,i think 2 or 3 minutes with a needle file to touch up threads in couple places it will be fine,I'll put it up for just in case I want to try again some day.
It is a pain as mine I have to brush the threads between every shot. I've soaked it several times. I don't care if I hurt it as it's not original to the gun. But I'm not doing it until my new nipples arrive.

File 2 parallel flats into the threaded area just above the base. Try to get a spanner on it and, after some good soaking, it might just turn out.
Could also try cutting a slot through the center of it and try a screwdriver or similar.
Thank you. Both good ideas.

Well, after several attempts and alot of swearing, I finally got the old nipple out. I learned a couple of things. 1 never buy kobalt vise grips. Garbage. 2 before u grip it, put something inside the nipple to keep it from being crushed.
The rifle has very minimal damage and the new nipple fits perfect. The old nipple didn't fair to well.

Attachments

• 20231005_131218.jpg
    20231005_131218.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231005_131321.jpg
    20231005_131321.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Back